Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peachtree - Crystal Reporting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hazen

Hazen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

I am currently using Peachtree, a program that I am less then thrilled with (in general), especially its reporting capabilities. I am running the premium program and the reports that I can run are terribly disappointing.

I am unable to filter out and sort fields as I would like. For example, I am unable to report a/r and a/p by job. Also, I can create a report by customer but can't break that down in more detail by job and I am running multiple jobs for many of my clients.

Customer Support has been less then helpful and have told me "Peachtree can't do that" (for example - composing a report of expenses per job) several times, when in fact I can. I figured this out on my own, despite customer support telling me it is not possible. :thumbsup:

Yea .... why bother entering job #'s if you can't use that information as a filter? Anyway .....

'Crystal Reporting' is a reporting module that allows greater reporting capabilities and something that I need to seriously consider getting but customer support has told me that this is complicated and difficult to run.

How difficult? I am not sure. But I have more faith in my ability then theirs as they have proven to be less then helpful up to now.

Does anyone have any experience or exposure with this? If so I would love to hear it, positive or negative.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

Crystal is OK. Runs fine against relational databases in Access db (local or network) as well as enormously complicated Oracle databases in a network environment. Crystal has a lot of very nice features, a lot of annoyances, and their small share of bugs, but generally is fine. Easier to use and more elaborate than the Access reporting method.

I think it's generally a solid performer with lots of output features and formats, and can do most of the stuff one normally needs in a small or large corporate environment.

What's a/p or a/r - accounts things? Like invoices and stuff? It actually doesn't matter what the subject is. Give it a relational database, setup the connection, tell it how your tables are related and you're good to go. You can make it as simple or complex as you wish.

Without knowing the structure of your database, what system you use and so on, I doubt you can really get much advice. Perhaps if you google for some materials from various university sites, you'll get an idea how it behaves. In a way it's amazingly simple to use (drag, drop, let Crystal do most of the work), yet there are moments where some details can drive you up a wall.

One major annoyance I find is that it only allows one level deep of subreports (which are sort of common routines), you cannot nest another subreport within a subreport. This flaw may not apply to your application at all.
Another is that sometimes, rarely, it crashes, if it can't find a table as you're switching databases from one server to another and something has changed.
Finally, their documenter of the report design it totally inadequate, incomplete and flawed in major places. But, if you need to document the design, you can use another application to document how a report is built. There exist several of those out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users