Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage and settings questions when reinstalling windows/ replacing mthbd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KDDomin

KDDomin

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

So i'm upgrading my PC soon. Replacing the CPU, GPU, PSU, Motherboard, cooling system, and RAM with new, better ones.

I just have some questions about how the hard drive will play into it. I'm not going to mess with the hard drive at all but since i'm upgrading from a DDR3 to a DDR4 motherboard i will have to reinstall Windows 10  ( Correct?).

I have a Windows 10 disk ready to go for that. But will replacing the motherboard and reinstalling Windows affect anything such as apps installed, games installed (on Steam mainly but also just the PC itself), mods in game folders, stuff laying around on my desktop (folders, etc), even my bookmarks for Google chrome i have saved? Not really a big deal, but will even the shortcuts on my desktop, their location on the screen, and the shortcuts on my task bar be affected? 

This is the first time upgrading my PC so I really don't know how reinstalling Windows and replacing the motherboard comes into play with my storage and settings on my computer. I just want to know if i will have to go through and re download every game, app, game mod (which is a ton), and have to find the sites for my bookmarks on chrome again. Sorry i'm a noob ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Edited by hamluis, 20 November 2016 - 03:35 PM.
Moved from System Building to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

I'm not going to mess with the hard drive at all

I will have to reinstall Windows 10  ( Correct?).

There's a contradiction here !  Actually if you are lucky you might get away without having to re-install Windows. The problem you might have is that, as you say, this is an upgrade and MS might not accept your existing licence key for authentication unless your original version of windows was a retail and not an OEM one. OEM licenses are tied to motherboard, retail ones can be moved from one computer to another. This is not hard and fast, sometimes an OEM licensed copy will install on a new mobo and authenticate automatically, if it doesn't, at the least you are going to have to phone MS and they may say you require a new copy of Win 10.

You will certainly need to install the chipset drivers for your new mobo, and then see what happens with the OS on your hard drive at the moment. If it works - great. If it doesn't, or gives problems, you will probably need to do a new install. A complete fresh install will start by formatting your hard drive so, yes, all your data and software will be deleted. You should find your data in a 'Windows.old' folder after such an install but you would need to re-install all your applications afterwards.

If you get away without having to re-install Windows your shortcuts should not be affected, if you have to re-install then you will need to rebuild them.

Before you start on this upgrade process it would be a very good idea to make a list of all your installed applications as well as any installation codes needed. Just to be safe you also need to make sure that all your data is backed including things like contact lists and bookmarks.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

I'm not going to mess with the hard drive at all

I will have to reinstall Windows 10  ( Correct?).

The problem you might have is that, as you say, this is an upgrade and MS might not accept your existing licence key for authentication unless your original version of windows was a retail and not an OEM one. OEM licenses are tied to motherboard, retail ones can be moved from one computer to another. This is not hard and fast, sometimes an OEM licensed copy will install on a new mobo and authenticate automatically, if it doesn't, at the least you are going to have to phone MS and they may say you require a new copy of Win 10.

Can you further explain the difference between the OEM and retail keys? What i got was two Windows 10 official Microsoft CD disks. One was for my desktop, and the other was for a laptop, however i asked the company I got my PC from and they said the laptop disk can be used the same as the desktop disk (I have misplaced my desktop disk) so i was planning on using the laptop disk. Are those disks classified as retail?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users