Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast locked drive. Attempted Fix made it worse

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:33 PM

At this point I'm not certain the damage can be undone. Had multiple crashes through out the year with my drives being locked. Wasn't sure what kept causing it but believe its my antivirus. Been able to fix it last two times with minimum data lost. This time I can't seem to unlock the drive and now I seem to have destroyed my access to command prompt. Bios I haven't had any luck reaching either.

I'm on win 8.1 HP envy computer. The initial and current error is Aswrvrt.sys is missing or broken. Tried restore and refresh, which failed because of locked drive.

Went to unlock the drive and was out of space to make a new partition. Used the parititon that said system, assuming it was my previous use and reformatted to boot windows c drive.

I followed some video tutorial and trying recall what I've done. No idea if I unlocked any drives because the system recovery where refresh, restore, and command prompt were can no longer be accessed. If I click it, it restarts. Essentially most things I click now just restarts.

I start back with my initial error message and options to use start up settings or uefi firmware settings minus access to the system recovery as previously mentioned.

I get the feeling I'm completely screwed at this point. I think my tinkering will only cause more issues without a clear path to fix this. Last I seen my files were still there. I wanted to simply uninstall avast using command prompt and hope I can login, but now I'm trying figure out how to restore command prompt. Last time I fixed this I could access bios. This time I haven't had access to it with the known f keys to enable it.

Also do not have win8 disc, I most likely created recovery file on usb hard drive but I can't remember for certain.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in over my head at the moment.

Edited by Cy-Ko, 20 November 2016 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

If the computer still has the factory reset partition you may still be able to activate it at boot. What is the make and model of the computer?

Do you need any data on the computer? 

If you do not need to recover any data you may be better off reinstalling Windows 8.1. You can create an install disk using the Media Creation Tool

Here is a guide on doing a clean install. Because the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the OS will self activate when online.

#3 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the helping.

I'm actually thinking I may have picked the one partition I didn't want to reset. At least all the system restore options are no longer there.

It's a HP envy h8 PC series. Model no: h8-1455. Intel core i7-3770k CPU 3.5 GHz. That's about as much info I can find at the moment.

That is my other issue, I may have some files I haven't backed up within last couple weeks. Use my computer for work daily and it'd be helpful if I could reach those as well. Worried I destroyed my only way to.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

You can try to recover your files using a live linux disk. Fatdog64 is one I recommend. You may need to Disable SecureBoot in UEFI  and enable Legacy or CSM boot but Fatdog is supposed to boot UEFI with SecureBoot enabled. 

Fatdog64-702.iso

Download the Fatdog iso and burn it to a CD by right clicking the iso file on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. You can also use a USB flash drive with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. You will need a USB external or another USB flash drive to recover your data.

On an HP computer you can tap F9 at boot to access the boot menu which will allow you to select your boot device.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an computer with 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different. Click once on the sda3 partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

Once you have copied any of your files then you can do a clean install but any programs you installed after purchase would be gone. This would include Office. 

#5 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

I have an external USB harddrive and many USB flash sticks. As I'm understanding I put Rufus on a USB flash and then fatdog into that, or fatdog requires a CD and cd burner?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

No, you download Rufus to the desktop of a good computer and run it.  Do not install or copy Rufus to the flash drive. You do need to have the flash drive attached before running Rufus or Rufus will not see the flash drive.

You can either use Rufus to make a bootable USB flash drive or you can burn a CD. It's up to you which media you want to use. Just be sure to back up any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

#7 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

If you do have to reformat, prior to doing so buy a laptop hard drive enclosure (I know it'll cost a bit of money, but compared to data loss it's much preferred), remove the HDD from your laptop and fit it in the enclosure, connect the HDD to another computer, copy your essential files onto other media, remove HDD from enclosure and refit into laptop, and then reinstall Windows, drivers, and other software. The main thing is your files will be safe. The other stuff can be gradually reinstalled.

#8 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for that I've been able recover most of my files. Unfortunately I wasn't that organized so I imagine they're be some loss of data.

Now I'm ready to reinstall windows, but as I mentioned I probably wiped out the portions needed. Still can't access bios or the restore section so I'm assuming I can from another USB? I had windows 8 and believe upgraded to 8.1. It was preinstalled so I have no key, CD, or USB with it on there. Is there any method without having purchase another copy?

Also using fatdog, would there be any chance to use avast uninstaller from fatdog onto the hard drive? Which possibly could fix my initial problem and avoid the new windows reinstall. I assume not, but I was curious. I don't know enough about fatdog to understand its capabilities.

I figure if I can't keep repairing this pc then it might be the best time to look for some sales, but I'd still like get it functioning again.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

If the factory reset partition is intact by tapping F11 at boot which would bring up your factory reset wizard.

If not you can use the Windows 8.1 install media created using the Media Creation Tool which allows you to create a DVD or USB bootable install.

See my post #2 on doing a clean install with Windows 8. But I recommend you do the following first. When booting the Windows 8.1 media open a command prompt by pressing Shift + F10 at the Window that asks for language. Type the following

diskpart   This will open the diskpart window

list disk     

select disk X   Where X is the disk you intend to install Windows on. If you only have one disk then X would be 0.

clean               This will delete all partitions currently on the disk. Make sure you have the correct disk selected in the previous command

clean all           If the clean command did not delete your partitions use this command to wipe the disk.

convert gpt      This initializes the disk as GPT which is required on a computer that came pre-installed with Windows 8. I

exit                  exits out of diskpart

exit                   exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install.

You cannot use the avast uninstaller with Fatdog. Personally at this point I would do a clean install. After doing a clean install, installing programs and all updates, I would backup a complete disk image to a external hard drive using one of the following programs. If you run into this problem again you would be up in minutes vs having all these headaches. The programs allow you to create updated images to the external hard drive.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Most all of your data would be in the USERS directory. Did you back up your browser favorites or bookmarks? If you use an email client you should also backup your email.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 November 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#10 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

In the process of installing windows again. The only issue I have come across was the partitions not allowing me to delete them. So all I had was one option to install it over existing data. The other partition was too small. The delete partition was grayed out without any opportunity to click it.

I am guessing it's not a clean install as result? It seems to be functioning again but I'd prefer have the best fresh start.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

using the clean command in diskpart should have deleted the partitions. If that did not work clean all would zero wipe the drive. That would guarantee all partitions would be gone.

#12 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

I attempted the clean in disk part but it continued to display GB sizes. It essentially has taken over and is reinstalling everything at the moment. Since I now have windows again is it better to do a factory restore or attempt to clean partitions a second time?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

That is up to you. If you leave it go and finish the install it should be possible to delete the other partitions on the disk and expand the new partition install using a bootable disk. After you have finished the install post a screenshot of Disk Management.

#14 Cy-Ko

Cy-Ko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Not sure what's happening. I attempted go back and clean disk again. This time it took several hours to complete using the clean all command. When I type list disk it still shows all patricians.

Attached Files

Edited by Cy-Ko, 23 November 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

Those are not partitions those are disks with zero bytes, most likely your card reader.

Type the following. 

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

post the output. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users