Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer wont load bios, skips to windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gonzxor

Gonzxor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

I've looked everywhere on already posted forums, nothing works.
This information if it helps:
Msi z97
Msi gtx1060 6gb
Vegeance 16gb

When it boots up I get the POST page and it says press delete to enter bios, nothing happens. No matter if I hold it, press it, tap it a million times it aint working. Instead it tries to boot windows off my HDD (salvaged from another computer, reinstalling windows)

If I unplug the HDD, POST comes up but I am not able to enter and I get a screen saying No bootable device

I was able to get into the bios once and it seemed to happen randomly, I rebooted press delete and it let me in. I tried again a few minutes later (I changed nothing) and it would not work.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me smile.gif 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:11 AM

You have to hit the del key as soon as you power up.  The boot is pretty fast and the video BIOS is first, if that comes up, it's too late to enter BIOS.  You have to hit the DEL key before the POST starts.

Edited by mjd420nova, 20 November 2016 - 11:11 AM.

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:16 AM

It is normal to have your PC boot straight to Windows instead of to BIOS, every PC do this. To boot to BIOS you need to press the delete key very fast, as soon as the BIOS screen show up, otherwise it will boot your HDD. You can boot to BIOS from windows, but it only applicable to UEFI.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

press the delete key very fast

This is usually the thing. To get computers booting up really quickly, systems now only pause to look for the BIOS setup key for a tiny amount of time (I think maybe 100 milliseconds) and the key has to be in the act of being pressed at that time. If the key is simply held down, or has already just been pressed it will appear to be a stuck key, and unless the BIOS is set to stop on all errors, it will just continue to boot up. You have to go woodpecker crazy on the Del key until you manage to time it just right.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

I really doubt this would affect a new machine, certainly anything with a UEFI firmware, but on some older PC's I've seen if they do not have "USB legacy support" or equivalent set in BIOS, then you cannot get into BIOS without using a PS/2 keyboard.  Just another line of thought....

Edited by jonuk76, 21 November 2016 - 09:14 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

I would reseat your memory and main PSU ATX connector and try again. If no joy I would clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two and reinserting it and try again *note you will have to reset your optimized defaults, and any other special bios parameters you wanted*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users