Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network and Passport drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

My WD passport drive is 5 times faster than my network drive but that is on one computer so my question is can 2 computers share the same drive and be as fast as a WD passport drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:35 PM

The short answer is no.  A hard drive connected directly to the computer using USB 3 has more bandwidth than your network is able to provide.  When you do things over the network you are limited by the slowest device the data needs to cross.  If you had gigabit Ethernet connecting everything you might get close to the speed having it directly connect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users