Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Linux distro that can run on my useless computer ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

So sometime ago i wanted to install ubuntu but i was told to have use a linux mint live usb because it would damage if i installed them both so i wonder if theres any distro that can run alongside windows on my computer or if my computer is that bad and the fact it cant run anything interesting isnt enough.

9a9f41859b674f369e97fe77be013bc4.png

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:36 AM

The information that you got in the other thread still stands, I would suggest Puppy Linux on USB stick.

Get puppy.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:38 AM

The information that you got in the other thread still stands, I would suggest Puppy Linux on USB stick.

Get puppy.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

I meant that i can install on the hard drive i already have a linux mint live USB.

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 20 November 2016 - 02:42 AM.

Twitter

Website

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

You can install Ubuntu, Linux Mint or any other full distro they will all run on that machine, Just remember there is always a chance that you could damage your Windows install so creating backups is a good idea.

#5 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

You can install Ubuntu, Linux Mint or any other full distro they will all run on that machine, Just remember there is always a chance that you could damage your Windows install so creating backups is a good idea.

Backups of what Windows or/and my files ?And if windows breaks will the distro get corrupted too and if yes in which cases?

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 20 November 2016 - 02:54 AM.

Twitter

Website

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:29 AM

You can install Puppy to your hard drive, in exactly the same way that you would install it to a flash drive. I run 8 'Pups' on my 12-yr old Compaq (which is considerably older than your own machine!), and a further two on an even more ancient, 14-yr Dell laptop (from an IDE/PATA SSD).

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 November 2016 - 06:30 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:30 AM

You can install Puppy to your hard drive, in exactly the same way that you would install it to a flash drive. I run 8 'Pups' on my 12-yr old Compaq (which is considerably older than your own machine!), and a further two on an even more ancient, 14-yr Dell laptop (from an IDE/PATA SSD).

Yea but will it break windows and how do i do it ?

Twitter

Website

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:45 AM

Well, now.

First, we really need to see what your partition set-up is at present. If you have the Linux Mint LiveCD, boot from that, locate gParted (usually somewhere in either 'System' or 'Utilities....I haven't used Mint for ages!), run gParted, and post a screenshot of what your main drive looks like. Are you comfortable with doing screenshots? I forget how it works in Mint; somebody else will probably be able to help with this.

Or, if you know how, use the Disk partitioning tools in Windows, and post a screenshot from that.

Basically, you need to shrink your main Windows partition a bit; create a new, small partition for Puppy.....then install Puppy to it. It's that simple. You will want to use the 'frugal' install option for Pup; if you choose the 'full' option, you immediately lose many of Puppy's advantages. Then you need to arrange things so that you can choose which OS to boot from. Personally, I would use the Grub4DOS bootloader config tool built-in to Puppy; it will create a boot menu that includes Puppy & Windows, and lets you choose.

And no; it won't break Windows. If that were the case, how come so many folks 'dual-boot', hmm..?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 November 2016 - 07:52 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

Well, now.

First, we really need to see what your partition set-up is at present. If you have the Linux Mint LiveCD, boot from that, locate gParted (usually somewhere in either 'System' or 'Utilities....I haven't used Mint for ages!), run gParted, and post a screenshot of what your main drive looks like. Are you comfortable with doing screenshots? I forget how it works in Mint; somebody else will probably be able to help with this.

Basically, you need to shrink your main Windows partition a bit; create a new, small partition for Puppy.....then install Puppy to it. It's that simple. You will want to use the 'frugal' install option for Pup; if you choose the 'full' option, you immediately lose many of Puppy's advantages. Then you need to arrange things so that you can choose which OS to boot from. Personally, I would use the Grub4DOS bootloader config tool built-in to Puppy; it will create a boot menu that includes Puppy & Windows, and lets you choose.

can i do it through windows instead ?

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 20 November 2016 - 07:49 AM.

Twitter

Website

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:56 AM

Re-read my last post; I must have been editing it while you replied.

Sorry about that.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

Re-read my last post; I must have been editing it while you replied.

Sorry about that.

7139c464cd3446a5beae8951496060cf.png

Twitter

Website

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

No never shrink your partition in windows, if you want a broken system that will do it for sure.

This is why linux uses external partition manager.

Why not reformat your C drive while you are at it if you really want to cause some damage :D

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 November 2016 - 11:09 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,981 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

I think you should consider getting a bigger Drive, or at least a Backup Drive, but for now the suggestion to use puppy will be the best.  This is because you only have: 33,1 GB (45%) of Free Space on your current Drive, this is really not enough space to install another Operating System.  You could do it but you won't be leaving Windows 7 much space to work with, especially if you download more stuff.  Puppy can be run off a USB/DVD, and a Save File can be stored on Windows 7, or Back to the USB/DVD.  Maybe there is some stuff you can Delete on Windows 7, like Large files you don't need, then Defrag it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

I think you should consider getting a bigger Drive, or at least a Backup Drive, but for now the suggestion to use puppy will be the best.  This is because you only have: 33,1 GB (45%) of Free Space on your current Drive, this is really not enough space to install another Operating System.  You could do it but you won't be leaving Windows 7 much space to work with, especially if you download more stuff.  Puppy can be run off a USB/DVD, and a Save File can be stored on Windows 7, or Back to the USB/DVD.  Maybe there is some stuff you can Delete on Windows 7, like Large files you don't need, then Defrag it.

Nevermind i cant even collect enough money to get a 70 euro phone let alone a new hard drive and i dont even have the key to open the case and i dont know how to even build a computer.

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 20 November 2016 - 11:49 AM.

Twitter

Website

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,981 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:28 PM

Nevermind i cant even collect enough money to get a 70 euro phone let alone a new hard drive and i dont even have the key to open the case and i dont know how to even build a computer.

Well then, be careful with what you have now, we all need our computers these days.  Playing around with Linux could spell disaster for Windows 7, we don't want that.  I know it's tempting to Play with Linux, we all love it, but you have to weigh the scales, whether or not you are willing to Break what you have now.  I have three "Hand-me-down" Laptops, so if I bugger up one it's not an issue.  I just read some Threads where the OP Tried to install Linux and wiped his/her Drive, not good!

I hope at least you have some Recovery DVD's to restore Windows 7 if needed, I'm sure someone has asked you this in another thread here?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users