Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Stuck Checking for Updates forever

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

Hi all,

Am on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

This problem has got me frustrated for the past few days and seems to be persistent. I need to install the 2015 C++ runtime redistributable package for some applications to work. (Both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the 2015 redistributable) 

I tried running both of the installers at the first time, but it ended up hanging up until the "Processing Windows 7 MSU" for hours, i googled it and it seems that i need an update to be installed for it to work. 

The Problem:

I go to windows update>Click check for updates, then Windows update is "checking for updates..." forever

So if it wont let me update through that, I try updating windows via the standalone installer exe files from the microsoft website...

Ex: I try to run the installer for the update KB3050265 x-64 (64 bit version), and then the installer gets stuck on "searching for updates on this computer"

Then i try to run the 32 bit version of the update, ending up on the same result. 

Basically, i can't update windows through the windows update and downloading the standalone installers directly because it gets stuck :( I then can't install the needed redistributables to run new programs that need it (only have the 2010 C++ redists) 

Solutions i've tried:

I tried running some solutions in the internet as it may be a common problem but so far, none of them have worked.

Downloaded and ran the windows update troubleshooter program from the microsoft website

and got this: http://imgur.com/a/OMpxo

Lastly, i tried the wsus offline updater here: http://www.wsusoffline.net/

It did work but it only managed to install one update, and also  managed to install the 64 bit version of the 2015 C++ redistributable but it doesn't list in the "view installed updates" on the programs and features window. I have no way of knowing if it is properly installed...

Edited by john1816, 20 November 2016 - 12:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 batman1234

batman1234

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:03 AM

Try to reset the components manually: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Also do step 4.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:04 AM

Hi:

This has been a serious and widespread problem for Win7 (and Vista and 8/8.1) for many months.

But there is a solution.

This worked for me on 2 Win7 systems and for many, many others at another forum who had the same issue.

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

MM

#4 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:24 AM

Ok i found the trick why as for the standalone windows installer executable, gets stuck on "searching for updates"

****Solution for the windows update installer getting stuck at "Searching for updates"***
---->I set my comdo firewall to block all internet traffic (same as pulling off the ethernet plug physically from the computer), ran the updates and it worked :) <---
The installer apparently goes online and searches for some updates but ends up in a loop, causing it not to do anything at all. 

I then went to cmd, ran it as admin and ran this command to stop the windows update process (if its running):

net stop wuauserv 

I then download and ran the installer for these updates (In order to fix the windows update stalling at "Checking for updates"):

KB3020369 * <-Update that resolves windows update long time stalls
KB3050265 
KB3102810 
KB3135445 
KB3138612 
KB3161664 
KB3172605 

*Note, 2 of the updates you listed are here :)

Rebooted, then i installed these updates
KB3000483
KB3145739

List of updates: http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-7-keeps-checking-for-updates-for-hours/

Rebooted again, the updates were installed :)

I then had to re-install (uninstall and reinstall) the 2015 C++ redistributable files both for the 32 and 64-bit versions, rebooted again and i can run the programs that use those now.

Now i tested the windows update to see if it will still stall at "Checking for updates..."

Ran it at the background while i was doing other things, it worked this time after 20 or so minutes and showed me the list of updates. Currently downloading and installing them at the moment.

So it appears that this is really a microsoft issue: At some point in time i read, (forgot to get those links) that microsoft changed the way that their update servers were working and somehow for older versions of windows that weren't patched before a particular month last year, caused them to get stuck in the same way as i did. KB3020369 seems to be one of the updates that resolves the issue ~

http://windowsitpro.com/patch-tuesday/patch-tuesday-microsoft-confirms-kb3020369-culprit-stuck-installations

#5 batman1234

batman1234

• Members
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:40 AM

Thank for sharing. This will sure help a lot of users who has similar problems.

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 08:43 PM.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hi:

Yes, thanks for sharing your results.

For the record, I'm quite sure the steps I outlined would have accomplished the same thing, without changing your firewall settings.  They have worked for me and for many, many other folks at sevenforums.com.  And they are generic enough to work, no matter what AV/firewall the user might have. But, yes, blocking traffic through the firewall would essentially shutdown the perpetual "checking for updates" in order to permit manual install of those needed patches.

But, again, thanks very much for taking the time to report back.

Cheers,

MM

#7 pcneedy

pcneedy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

Thank you MoxieMomma, This did the trick, The first update was already installed (3020369), so I rebooted and installed the second. followed the rest of the instructions and Voila, all is well. Updates flowing.

#8 iaco2016

iaco2016

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

Hi:

This has been a serious and widespread problem for Win7 (and Vista and 8/8.1) for many months.

But there is a solution.

This worked for me on 2 Win7 systems and for many, many others at another forum who had the same issue.

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

MM

This worked like a charm where hundred of google searches had failed. A giant thank you!

Edited by iaco2016, 21 November 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

Thank you MoxieMomma, This did the trick, The first update was already installed (3020369), so I rebooted and installed the second. followed the rest of the instructions and Voila, all is well. Updates flowing.

This worked like a charm where hundred of google searches had failed. A giant thank you!

Great!
I'm glad that worked for you.
Yes, KB3172605 does seem to fix the problems with the WU client that plagued us all for so long...

Thanks for taking the time to report your results.

MM

#10 chriswarren

chriswarren

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hi:

But there is a solution.

Let's try this:

4. REBOOT

MM

Thank you so much - worked great. No more waiting overnight for it to find/install updates!

#11 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for letting us know you were able to resolve your issue, @chriswarren.

There are several "fixes" out there at various sites.

But that seemed to do the trick for me and for many others.

I have no VM or test box on which to test the theory, but I suppose that  it's possible that a manual install of the October, November or December Security+Quality Rollup might achieve the same result.

The fix to install 302069, 3172605 and (for new Win7 installs, 3125574) was first reported in various places back in August or September, I think.

So, the subsequent Patchopalypse Rollups may or may not likewise fix the WU client problem.

Cheers,

MM

#12 garyjn

garyjn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:50 AM

Just want to add my thanks to MoxieMomma for posting that info. That problem has been pestering me for months and appears solved now. I'll have to visit Bleeping Computer more often.

#13 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

Just want to add my thanks to MoxieMomma for posting that info. That problem has been pestering me for months and appears solved now. I'll have to visit Bleeping Computer more often.

Thanks for taking the time to report your favorable outcome, @garyjn.

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Cheers,

MM

#14 magtech59

magtech59

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

I have just joined BleepingComputer, and immediately got some great benefit.  

I have been absolutely plagued with this exact issue on multiple Win 7 boxes since early this year.  Had tried every suggested suggested tweak, ran every Update fixit program, every registry update....nothing! 

Then came across MoxieMomma's solution and it worked beautifully.  Thanks so much.

#15 radrian

radrian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:39 PM

Thank you MoxieMomma. Your solution worked for me - however I did not have to go through all the steps you outlined. Here's what worked for me:

1. Downloaded updates  KB3020369 and KB3172605

2. Stopped and Disabled Windows Update service

3. Installed update  KB3020369

4.  Installed update KB3172605

5. Rebooted

6. Re-enabled Windows update service and restarted it

7. Went to Windows Update and clicked to check for updates manually

8. Finally got a list of 100+ updates :) and started to patiently install them :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users