Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC turns on then off, and restarts. Is it possible that the PSU is the culprit?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 RXAELinkay

RXAELinkay

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Recently I've cleaned out my work area and also cleaned off some of the dust in the PC case. Yesterday, I was using it fine for over four hours. No problems.

Today, I went on and played a game. Within a minute or so, the PC shut off and restarted itself.
It then restarted itself and I was able to use it for about fifteen minutes before it shut off again. Not good. I used speccy and open hardware before all of this happened and they were all good analysis in regards to temperature. I still went on and turned my PC on a couple of times. Now the PC would start, display would start, and I think maybe the MOBO is able to start somewhat but then it all shuts down. I'm thinking that the PSU is defective now since I recall that when I first used this PC for the last 6 months or so, whenever I turned my PC off, it would magically turn itself on. I thought that was weird but at least my PC was working so I ignored that sign which lead to now. What do you think? It's worth noting that I've observed all the fans I'm working order. Lights and everything coming on. But then PC shuts down but it also restarts itself when it shuts down. What could be the problem?

Here's my PC stats:
NZXT Source 210 Case
Gigabyte H110M-A Motherboard
RAM 8gb (I used Windows diagnostic on it and it said it was in good condition...)
I also have MAXTOR Drive (Hard Drive). I once had to do Windows repair on it because of corruption issues or something but I'm sure that's been long fixed.
EVGA 500B PSU NON-modular

Now what? I have a feeling that the PSU is the culprit. It was weird before when I would shut down my PC, it'd turn it back on. Now it seems that it's powering my PC for a few seconds then turning it off (not sure if that's actually the case, I bought a PSU tester that's coming around Monday so I should be able to pull down a few tests on it.)

Can you help me further?

Edited by RXAELinkay, 19 November 2016 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:11 AM

Yes it can be the problem of PSU or cooling. Check the temperature in the BIOS, sometimes Speccy reports false temps. If the temps is good then the PSU might be faulty, you can change the PSU and test it if you have another PSU, or put the faulty PSU into another PC and see if you get the problem. Otherwise the Mobo may be bad and need to be replaced.

Edited by batman1234, 20 November 2016 - 12:11 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 RXAELinkay

RXAELinkay
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

Yes it can be the problem of PSU or cooling. Check the temperature in the BIOS, sometimes Speccy reports false temps. If the temps is good then the PSU might be faulty, you can change the PSU and test it if you have another PSU, or put the faulty PSU into another PC and see if you get the problem. Otherwise the Mobo may be bad and need to be replaced.

About a day or so ago, I checked the temps. in BIOS and all of the temps seemed normal to me (about 25-45, mostly in 30s range). I was also about to get on a game and the graphics were rendered fine? My computer graphics were rendered fine? I also was able to see components in device manager and all of that and the comp. ran fine for like 4 hours or + yesterday. But today it all changed, I don't even want to turn it back on as it seems like it'll turn itself off after a couple of seconds and I think that I can see a glimpse of the motherboard's logo being disabled.

I'm going to do something like the PSU paperclip test soon. Can you recommend me ways to put my PSU under load? What can I do to put it under load so that it shows its' problems? Do I hook up the dvd drives to it? Is that enough?

Thanks a lot.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:44 AM

You need something that can provide the load to test it under load, PSU tester can be expensive. Do you have a second computer? You can install the PSU into it and see the result.

The PSU is bad if the result is the same.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 RXAELinkay

RXAELinkay
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:49 AM

You need something that can provide the load to test it under load, PSU tester can be expensive. Do you have a second computer? You can install the PSU into it and see the result.

I have some fans in the case and hard drives. Is that enough to get the PSUs under load and see if it is indeed faulty? I have no second computer that I can test it on unfortunately.

P.S: I don't have a PSU tester and yes, they're expensive.

Edited by RXAELinkay, 20 November 2016 - 01:49 AM.

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

I have some fans in the case and hard drives. Is that enough to get the PSUs under load and see if it is indeed faulty? I have no second computer that I can test it on unfortunately.

I think it is not enough to put it under load. To do this you need something that can use 500W from the power supply. Unless you have an extremely powerful computer that run multiple graphics card in SLI, computer rarely use up to 500W.

If you can't get into your operating system, use this method to test:

http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/

If you have enough time to run software while in OS before it restarts, you can do the Part 2 (paperclip test Part 1):

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

Edited by batman1234, 20 November 2016 - 01:56 AM.

#7 RXAELinkay

RXAELinkay
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:12 AM

I think it is not enough to put it under load. To do this you need something that can use 500W from the power supply. Unless you have an extremely powerful computer that run multiple graphics card in SLI, computer rarely use up to 500W.

If you have enough time to run software while in OS before it restarts, you can do the Part 2 (paperclip test Part 1):
OK I might want to see if I can get into the operating system probably tomorrow. But if my computer turns off suddenly and I keep doing this, will it damage my computer's components? I really don't want it to be damaged any further.

In addition to that, the article that you linked to me talked about hard drive and errors. I do recall one time booting up Windows after a sudden shut down or something and a Windows Repair message popped up and it said that something was wrong with my hard drive so it was diagnosing it and it fixed it. But could that possibly further cement that the PSU is faulty?

Thanks hope you answer my two questions: one about the PSU and the other on hard drive and errors.

#8 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:20 AM

OK I might want to see if I can get into the operating system probably tomorrow. But if my computer turns off suddenly and I keep doing this, will it damage my computer's components? I really don't want it to be damaged any further.

In addition to that, the article that you linked to me talked about hard drive and errors. I do recall one time booting up Windows after a sudden shut down or something and a Windows Repair message popped up and it said that something was wrong with my hard drive so it was diagnosing it and it fixed it. But could that possibly further cement that the PSU is faulty?

Thanks hope you answer my two questions: one about the PSU and the other on hard drive and errors.

If the computer just turn off even before the OS start to load (you see the OS boot screen) then it is not the problem of OS. If the hard drive is failed you will most likely get an error message saying that hard drive not found or something similar.

About the damage to components, if the OS restart normally (you will see a screen saying Restarting...) then no problems are likely to occur. However if the PC suddenly turn black and restart like pressing the reset button files corruption can occur, this can cause Windows Repair message to pop up as the OS try to recover from the corruption. In rare cases the drive head can crash the platter if the computer suddenly shut down after hard drive already start up.

Edited by batman1234, 20 November 2016 - 02:21 AM.

#9 Finalix

Finalix

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

If the computer just turn off even before the OS start to load (you see the OS boot screen) then it is not the problem of OS. If the hard drive is failed you will most likely get an error message saying that hard drive not found or something similar.

About the damage to components, if the OS restart normally (you will see a screen saying Restarting...) then no problems are likely to occur. However if the PC suddenly turn black and restart like pressing the reset button files corruption can occur, this can cause Windows Repair message to pop up as the OS try to recover from the corruption. In rare cases the drive head can crash the platter if the computer suddenly shut down after hard drive already start up.

Hello. I actually got banned on my other account for "spam" even though I wasn't trying to spam. I was trying to paste in my code and it was 400 lines long and I specified the [code=auto:0] tags but it still got me. I'm uploading my logs now, can you still help me?

I was able to get into O.S. and everything.

Attached Files

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:08 AM

Can't find anything related to the PSU.

Please download SpeedFan from here, install and run it.

Post a screenshot of the readings tab, or tell me the value for +3.3V, +5V, +12V.

#11 Finalix

Finalix

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Can't find anything related to the PSU.

Please download SpeedFan from here, install and run it.

Post a screenshot of the readings tab, or tell me the value for +3.3V, +5V, +12V.

Hi, Speedfan doesn't tell me the PSU values. For some reason, the only thing that it can do is read my hardware temperatures.

Instead, I downloaded the official Gigabyte System Information Viewer (they are the company associated with my motherboard) and this is what I got:

W/out prime-95:
http://i.imgur.com/aH1qw8B.png

W/prime 95 stress-testing on bland mode, ran for five minutes, and took ss while prime-95 was running then closed it:
http://i.imgur.com/PoQohuM.png

It's also worth noting that while I was building the PC, I took the heat sink off a few times or so because I wanted to check the thermal paste and then I finally turned the computer on. I bought new thermal paste though so hopefully I can try that soon.

Thoughts?

Edited by Finalix, 21 November 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#12 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

It look like there's no problems.

Do the PC restart itself now, or it is OK?

#13 Finalix

Finalix

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:05 AM

It look like there's no problems.

Do the PC restart itself now, or it is OK?

Hello. It seems to be running OK if I just do things like use a browser. But I have a feeling that if I open a game then the pc will shut itself down. I'm waiting for my new thermal paste to arrive.

I'm also planning to buy a motherboard speaker. Do you think the problem resides with the motherboard? But that's a bit weird because the motherboard boots me into the O.S. and I'm actually using the computer right now.

Could it be the GPU? Could the GPU cause things to shut down? But the thing is, my display uses a cable that I believe is pretty much connected to the GPU so for the GPU to be having issues would mean that there would be no display for me, but there's display. This whole thing is weird. Any thoughts?

Should I try to wait and apply the thermal paste and see what happens? In addition to installing the MOBO speakers, I think that's what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the help so far!

P.S.: Do you think it's a good idea for me to open up my graphics card (GPU) and re-do the thermal paste for it?

Edited by Finalix, 22 November 2016 - 01:13 AM.

#14 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:01 AM

Well, it is likely the problems with the PSU or GPU or cooling. While gaming computer normally will use more power, some faulty PSU may fail to provide enough power for the PC then it will shutdown. Failing GPU can also cause the PC to shutdown when it is under load, usually happens when gaming.

Do you have another PC for you to test? Testing the PSU and GPU on another one help to find out the culprit.

Make sure the GPU and CPU fan is clean, then wait to apply new thermal paste. Software might not report the real temperature, this happen to me before.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users