Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

So, i was installing a graphics card today, and i didn't unplug the computer for some reason, the computer flashed on for a few seconds and the on and off again a few times. i unplugged the computer after that. once finished installing the card i attempt to turn the computer on, nothing. the green light on the motherboard is still on. and i also tried shorting out the power supply while it still hooked up to the computer and to my surprise everything booted up except the computer never booted does that mean my motherboard is toast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:17 AM

What is the model of graphics card and power supply?

Have you try remove the new graphics card to see if it boot?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:52 AM

EVGA geforce GT 730 and Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W. but i do have a lot of stuff in my configuration so a blown Power supply wouldnt have suprised me, but like i said i got it to boot but when i shorted it out.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:15 AM

Do you have this problem if you remove the new GPU and use the old one?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

i didn't have one before it was just the integrated graphics. i did not try to short it out with the graphics card installed, only without it.

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:41 AM

So the computer start with the iGPU?

If not then the motherboard is fried if the PSU is working properly.

You can test it if you have the same motherboard and see if it boot.

#7 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:47 AM

if i short out the green and black wires coming from the power supply to my motherboard the computer turns on, but does not boot. with the GPU in it or not.

#8 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:07 AM

If the power supply is working, the PSU's fan will start up if you short the green and black wires. The motherboard is dead if computer won't boot.

If the fan does not start the PSU is dead.

#9 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:13 AM

yeah i have like 5 fans coming off the motherboard and they all kick on when i short the green and black wires, does that mean motherboard is the culprit?

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:23 AM

What about the fan inside the PSU?

Disconnect the PSU from the whole computer and plug it into the wall and short the wires. If the PSU fan start motherboard is dead, RAM may be the problem too.

#11 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:38 AM

What about the fan inside the PSU?

Disconnect the PSU from the whole computer and plug it into the wall and short the wires. If the PSU fan start motherboard is dead, RAM may be the problem too.

i'll have to give that a go tomorrow. i have to see if i can even get that PSU out i have a a lot of stuff going to 

#12 diagnosedaskaz

diagnosedaskaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

Alright so i took the PSU out and tested it and the fan is working fine. so i'm assuming the motherboard is no good then. any chance it took out the CPU do you think?

#13 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

Let test the RAM first. Try to move the RAM into another slot and repeat with every slot and see if it will boot. If you have 2 or more stick of RAM remove the additional one and left 1 stick only, and repeat this with every RAM stick and every slot.

If you have another PC with compatible RAM please test it in the PC.

It still fail to boot then the motherboard is very likely fried, if it boot then the RAM or slot is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users