Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten password/Factory reset

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 catchkennyifucan

catchkennyifucan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hey guys (and girls), this is my first time posting on this forum, so I would like to apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong spot.

Anyways, I opened up my laptop (HP Pavilion G series/Win7) earlier today and it stated that I have had my password too long and need to reset it. The problem is, I do not remember my old password, so I am in a bind.
I keep all of my important stuff on my desktop, so I don't mind factory resetting this laptop. I usually do not have to resort to formus like this one, as I am able to correct any technical issues myself by just using google or other similar means. I tried doing a google search on how to factory reset it without the password and they are all telling me to hit F11 upon start up and select "system recovery", but when I hit the F11, it's asking me if I want to log on through safe mode. I tried doing that to see if I could factory reset it when I was in the computer, but even that route is asking me for a password.

So, if anyone can help me fix this issue, preferably not through any kind of reset, that would be great, but if that's my only option, well then, it looks like that is my only option.

Once again, it's an HP Pavilion G series ran with Windows 7.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 catchkennyifucan

catchkennyifucan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

Also, I don't believe I still have the reset disc, but I will look for it.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:34 PM

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:Password Recovery Tools:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

FWIW:  https://www.google.com/#q=hp+pavilion+g6+password+reset .

Louis

#5 catchkennyifucan

catchkennyifucan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

Will that work for Win7 too?

Thanks!

#6 catchkennyifucan

catchkennyifucan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:50 PM

Budapest,
Let me get this straight, you are saying I'm guilty until proven innocent when it comes to theft of a laptop? And even if I were to prove it was mine, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get the help I need. I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but every question on this site could be in regards to a stolen laptop. It's not like I'm asking a rocket scientist for help, I'm asking for something that can already be found online, it's just that I cannot find it myself for some reason. If you feel like helping me could incriminate you in one way or another, feel free to use the acronym "SWIM" (Someone Who Isn't Me) and have that person tell me how to do it, it would be amazing.
Example: "SWIM says that all you need to do is..." and then go from there.
Your guy's time is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:14 AM

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:24 AM

Hey catchkennyifucan,

The reason we don't provide instructions to subvert legitimate software protection is because this is a white hat site. That being that everything we do is to fight bad guys, there is no grey area for us on here. We don't post malicious code in discussions, we don't help people with cracked OS's or fix stolen software. Sure one could ask for help with a stolen laptop, but by helping them we wouldn't be facilitating a crime... That is all. It's not personal.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:27 AM

To OP:

FWIW:  That is NOT what Budapest said...it's almost impossible to interpret his post in the manner that you have.

A number of different links have been posted...which may be of some value to you.  If you choose...not to use those links and any other that may be available via search engines...that's your choice, not something inflicted on you.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

Budapest,
Let me get this straight, you are saying I'm guilty until proven innocent when it comes to theft of a laptop?

That is not what I am saying. The owner of this site has made a conscious decision not to host that type of information on the forums. As such the best I can do is provide some links which should contain the information you require.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users