Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Syskey scam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pagie

Pagie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

hi eveyone , i was wondering if anyone could help me as i have been locked out of my computer by telephone scammers and they put a syskey password on my laptop and now i cant use it at all ! Any help with this would be great as im not too good wiith computers and got this one to learn on , thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pagie

Pagie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

I recently done a free update from windows 8 to windows 10 before this happened

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hopefully this will fix the problem. You need to do this offline with a linux disk as it cannot be done in Windows. The first thing to check is the date of the hives in the following directory. C:\Windows\System32\config\regback.  The hives must be dated before the date of your problem.

Download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso file to a CD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings and enable Legacy or CSM boot. Your computer may have a boot menu accessed at boot by tapping a key to select the boot device, in your case the optical drive.

At the Parted Magic Desktop you should mount your devices per this guide( see second image ). Browse to the regback folder to confirm if the date on the hives in regback is before the date in the config folder. If it is rename the following hives in config

SAM to SAM.bak

SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE.bak

DEFAULT to DEFAULT.bak

SECURITY to SECURITY.bak

SYSTEM to SYSTEM.bak

Copy the above hives from regbak to config. Exit out of PartedMagic and reboot.

You may also want to see this page for additional info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users