My son and I have built a brand new rig and are getting intermittent BSOD's with the CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT error. Happens when playing any graphics intensive games or apps, like Space Engine, BeamNG Drive, Fall Out 4 or Gary's Mod with a lot of items loaded. Usually starts out with short screen freezes and/or jitters -- with the sound also getting halted. Eventually the BSOD arrives to our dismay. We even saw some jittering the other day watching a YouTube video!
Here's our component list we used for our build:
- Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 [BX80662I76700K]
- ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD Video Card
- 1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Desktop Memory
- EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode (PSU)
- Boot drive on: Crucial M500 480GB SATA Internal Solid State Drive CT480M500SSD1 -- THIS IS THE ONLY USED COMPONENT TAKEN FROM AN OLD PC (FORMATTED)
- Steam Games installed on new: WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX
- Corsair Hydro Series Cooling H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (plus two other case fans)
- AOC G2260VWQ6 Gaming 21.5'' LCD Monitor (1080p - 60hz)
- NZXT S340 Matte Black/Red Steel ATX Mid Tower Case
- Windows 10 Home Basic 64bit OEM
Here are the many steps taken to refresh drivers and perform diagnostics:
- After Win10 install, performed several Windows Updates to be on the latest
- Initially installed all drivers from CD's provided by component manufacturers -- but from what I've read this seemed like a mistake
- Uninstalled several drivers and re-installed by downloading latest drivers from websites manually, also removed ALL dumb extra utilities from ASUS and GIGABYTE
- Nvidia drivers are the latest
- Updated to latest mobo driver using flash install
- Reset BIOS settings to defaults
- Ran Win10 MemTest - passed; Downloaded and ran memtest86+ for 2 or 3 passes with no errors
- Downloaded and ran Intel CPU Diagnostic Tool -- passed
- Ran Heaven GPU benchmarking tool on extreme setings, and it plays video, but with a lot of white screen flashing and occasional jittering - not sure if normal, but here is a link to a video showing how the test ran: https://goo.gl/tPY2RA
Then I stumbled onto this website and community after researching CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT and saw a means to post my data for analysis and review.
Other websites (like Tom's HW) have recommendations of re-installing Win 10 and installing correct drivers 1st before any windows updates, then do win updates and install games and see if still happens. Please let me know if this is the correct course of action next, or if I have a real HW problem.
I've attached the requested files ... please let me know if you need anything else.
Thank you SO VERY MUCH in advance if you can help us!
#### UPDATE ####
1. We got a memory manager BSOD trying the DRIVER VERIFIER process, so we just had to restore from restore point and zipped/attached the latest dump file.
2. We are using an SSD for boot drive so we ran SSDLife tool (trial version) and attached screen shots -- life is very good
3. We plan to run memtest86+ overnight to see if we come up with any RAM errors -- we will post back here if so.
Edited by soctaviano, 19 November 2016 - 06:40 PM.