Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIn Update error 80246008 and BITS

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzo44

Rizzo44

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi All - My Windows updates on 8.1 will not install. It acts like it is downloading and installing but it finally gives me error 80246008. After some searching I discovered this means that I have to turn on BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service for those who know as little as I do). (BTW, I'm the Administrator & the only one who uses the computer). I went to services.msc and it shows that BITS is running on automatic. Something I read online while researching this said that COM+EVENT might be related. It is also running on automatic.

So off to the Resource Monitor (resmon). BITS shows that it is stopped and I can't start it from there. Windows update (in Processes) is pulling 25% of my CPU. I never noticed because my computer hasn't slowed down.

Now to Process Explorer. Windows update showed as Wuauserv and netsvcs in the Resource Monitor. I found the svchost containing Windows Update in the Process Explorer. It's pulling 25% CPU. There are 13 other items under that svchost if you need them. Since BITS is a service I didn't look for it.

Windows Update and COM+Event are running in the Task Manager.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person about computers. I've tried things I've found online but couldn't find anything that discussed BITS showing that it's running in some places and not in others. One fix involved a command prompt. My command prompt is this: C:\Users\Dawn D>  which seems a weird prompt to me.

Also, I can't do system restore because I have reason to believe this started awhile ago & I have new important stuff installed.

Any and all help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:43 PM

Can you please use my batch script to Reset Windows Update Components.

Posted Image

#3 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

Thank you for your fast reply. I tried to run it and it has a box in the upper left hand corner that says that I have to be the Administrator to run it. It also warns me that it might be a dangerous program but I trust ya. This Administrator message happened to me a long time ago and I can't remember how to get the computer to recognize me. I'd appreciate it if you could get me past that screen. There is absolutely no question that I am the Administrator.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:12 AM

Right-click on Freebooters batch file and select 'Run as Administrator'.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Hi Rizzo44,

Please follow operainstructions and please tell us the result.
May i ask which program flag my batch script as a harmful program?

Posted Image

#6 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

I'm sorry I don't know what Freebooters is. I'm not that computer savvy. As soon as I attempted to download (RUN) your program my AVG flagged it because of the unknown address (that might not be the exact wording). I choose to download it anyway and I was stopped because the message said that I needed Administrator privileges to run the program. So none of it downloaded.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

Its a false positive detection no need to worry many people use my batch script no one has complain it cause any issue with there computer. You need to turn off AVG to download and execute my batch script.

Posted Image

#8 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

Just wanted to tell you that I tried to open the batch script again. All I was able to do was to hit the install button. I then got a Windows 8.1 banner that said Windows Smart Screen finds that this may be an unwanted program and it says something about not being able to verify something. Sorry I can't give you more but it only did it once after I hit the button that said run it anyway. It wasn't AVG that stopped it. I made a mistake. It was a banner from Windows 8.1.

You just popped up and I was writing you. :bubbles: I wasn't worried. I went ahead and ran it anyway. (You seem trustworthy). I can turn off AVG. I don't understand how to get Administrative privileges. I have your batch script and again I get the Administrator message. I've tried right clicking, clicking twice, looking at properties and everything else I could think of. I scrolled up and you say to right click so I'll try that again. Thank you for your help. Dawn

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Automatically reset Windows Update components

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Posted Image

#10 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:01 PM

Hello again. Thanks for the links, but they were two of the 1st places I went since Google sent me there when I started my search.

I thought you'd be interested in what happened when I went to load your batch file again. It had already downloaded after I told Windows 8.1 to run it anyway. Then when I went to open it the damn Windows 8.1 banner popped up again. I had AVG off. (I think the file was about 47 kbs? I didn't know if it was supposed to be a .zip?) I clicked on the right and on the left on the file. Each time that I tried I got the message - it was a banner across the screen - "Windows protected your PC. Windows Smart Screen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk." Then under more info: Publisher: Unknown Publisher   App:ResetWindowsUpdateComponents.bat  So it came through Windows firewall but it won't let me do anything with the batch script. I guess my computer is screwy since it doesn't happen to others. I've downloaded it 3 times now I suppose. I don't use Windows virus protection or anything but the firewall. It came through the firewall.

Thanks for all of your time. I appreciate it. Dawn

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

It is Windows SmartScreen blocking the batch script you can disable the Windows SmartScreen by opening Control Panel --> Security and Maintenance and select Change Windows SmartScreen settings from the left-side pane.

Edited by FreeBooter, 20 November 2016 - 08:43 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

Thank You.  I'll get to it tonight. 

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

You are welcome, you should also reset Windows services to there default startup settings, guest what i have batch script for doing such thing download link is below.

Restore Windows Services To Default Startup Settings

Posted Image

#14 Rizzo44

Rizzo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

I had this computer customized by my computer repair cousin (we aren't speaking because of political arguments - can't wait until Thanksgiving). This was 3 years ago. We worked a lot and I don't want to go to defaults. I've done everything possible to start everything that could be part of the problem. It seems to always come back to the fact the computer won't let me start BITS. The computer is running really well and fast (except the updates). Same thing with the way I have IE set up.

I have other things to do but this is driving me crazy. I turned off the Smart Screen as you instructed.

I went to the batch file and right clicked - it said: open, cut, copy, delete, Properties. Nothing about Administrator rights under Properties. The blinking "You need to have Administrator Rights to open this file" was up in the corner if I clicked anything. Right click, left click, click once, click twice, click on anything. On every choice. No luck. Sorry to keep bringing this back to you. I'm not surprised if you're frustrated with me. I suppose it's probably simple for others to do.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:28 PM

Don't worry we have all the time in the world is there a chance you have turn off User Account Control and this may be the reason you don't see Run as Administrator when you right click the batch script file. What happens when you double click the batch script file?

If you don't want to set default startup settings for the Windows services then make sure services "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" depends on are started. also make sure Windows Event Log service set to Automatic and started.

You can if you want do a Repair Install of Windows 10  you will keep all your settings, third party installed programs and personal files.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users