Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java will not install. Period.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jackieyena

Jackieyena

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Title pretty much sums it up.  I cannot get the latest version of Java to download onto my machine.  After downloading it and running the .exe, it pops up saying 'This program may have not installed correctly', every time.  The truth is it's wrong, it didn't install AT ALL.  Clicking 'Reinstall with recommended settings.' does absolutely nothing. 

No Java file appears in the programs (86) file, nor does Java appear in the control panel.

I successfully downloaded the last version of Java 7 to come out before it updated to Java 8, went off without a hitch.  I access the Java dashboard through the control panel thinking I could then just update it to the latest version of Java 8 from there.

No dice, nothing happens after clicking update.

I tried utilizing the offline version and installing it, only to get the same results.  Even tried doing it in safemode, again, nothing at all happens. 

Is Java 8 just that broken, or do I have to sacrifice my f***ing first born to get it to work???

One thing I noticed while cleaning my registry with CCleaner after another failed attempt was it mentioned an 'ActiveX/Com' issue with Java, I don't know if this is relevant to the problem in any way, but there were a lot of them listed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

Does right clicking the installer and selecting Run As Administrator work? Are you using the web installer or the full offline installer? If the web installer then download the offline installer and right click the exe file > Run As Administrator. 

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Running the offline installer should detect and old version and give you a dialog to uninstall before installing the new version. 

Java1.png

#3 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

I tried running both the web installer and the offline installer as administrator to no effect.  Both ways just bring up the 'This program may have not installed correctly' message a few seconds after I allow them access.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Does Java install in Safe Mode?

#5 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

It didn't no, my computer didn't even ask to allow it access, nothing happens at all.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

The only thing I can think of is to run a utility called JavaRa to uninstall any leftovers of Java. It's no longer updated because the newer versions essentially does the same thing when an older version  is detected.

https://singularlabs.com/software/javara/

If that fails you can run sfc /scannow which will detect any corrupt system files and attempt to replace them. Other than that I am out of ideas on this, sorry.

#7 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

No luck, even when that program said it downloaded, nothing happened, Java is nowhere to be seen.

sfc /scannow did not show any integrity violations.

Tried an older version of Java 8 (92 I believe it was) just in case the latest version was bugged, exact same problem. 

Edit: Disabled firewall briefly to attempt download, same results.

Edited by Jackieyena, 19 November 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hopefully somebody else can chime in. One last thing you may want to try. Enable the hidden Administrator Account which is a type of SuperUser account. Enable it by typing the following command in an elevated command prompt.

Type CMD in the search box, right click Run As Administrator

netuser administrator /active:yes

Login to the administrator account and try installing java.

#9 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

Cmd prompt did not recognize that command (typed exactly as is).

Edit: Looked it up, was a space between net and user, trying now.

Edited by Jackieyena, 19 November 2016 - 07:30 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

My mistake, sorry.

#11 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

No problem, didn't matter in the end, same result.

Launch program as administrator, allow access, get the 'Program may have not installed correctly.' message a short while later.

Edit: Accessed my registry through CCleaner again, and found something I hadn't seen before.

Problem: Obsolete software key

Data: Javasoft

I don't know what to make of it, I've tried downloading the most up to date versions.

Edited by Jackieyena, 19 November 2016 - 07:55 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

Sorry it did not work. I've got nothing else. 

Edit: We have done most of the steps on this page except using msconfig and creating a new user profile. Administrator should have solve the issue if the profile was corrupt.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-things-to-try-when-java-wont-install-properly/

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 November 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#13 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

I've looked at the same article and already tried msconfig and making a new admin profile.  Same results.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:06 AM

You could try this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Reboot afterwards and try with a new Java download.

So you are using the Java 32bit version?

#15 Jackieyena

Jackieyena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

The program you linked fixed a 'corrupted patch registry key', but attempting to install again results in the 'program may have not installed correctly' message.

I don't have ANY Java version right now.  I've tried downloading both the 32bit and 64bit, same results every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users