Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shoot Me or Tell me where I can buy a dependable flip phone?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

I'm in misery trying to replace my old phone.   I am a dinosaur I guess who only wants a phone that makes phone calls - I don't need a SMART PHONE because where they are concerned I guess I'm stupid.

I have looked online and reviewed and shopped till I'm frantic.   I've looked at Amazon and its impossible to figure out the reviews for what I'm looking for.

My needs are that it has good sound quality and decent battery time.

I think I would probably have better luck looking for someone to give me a million dollars. but

HELP PLEASE !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:11 PM

Here's a start: Top 10 Best Flip Phones 2016

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Animal, you're a real True-Blue pal, but in this case nothing is ever easy is it?     I want a new phone and my carrier is T-Mobile although right now I'd sell my kingdom (a rather sorry excuse for one though) and trade carriers - T-Mobile hasn't even ONE SINGLE SOLITARY **Simple Phone** on their site.   HOW CAN THIS BE???    I might end up on the 6 o'clock news - the next CRAZED MAN story?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

T Mobile you say? Flip phone your say?

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SGH-T139-Cell-Phone-T-Mobile/dp/B00387FAC0

Can't vouch for the requirements you previously stated. But there is your flip phone and carrier.

EDIT: And an LG one too:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-450-Black-Contract-T-Mobile/dp/B00O15MXQY/ref=pd_sim_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=T7V2GAZ3ZDPKZH15C1BC

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

Animal gave you the best two flip-phones for T-Mobile.  IF you go elsewhere and you buy an "un-locked" flip-phone, be prepared to have 1/2 of the flip-phones cool stuff not functioning.  Wifey and I bought an unlocked ATT phone, it works with T-Mobile and most of its cool stuff is offline.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:02 AM

Animal gave you the best two flip-phones for T-Mobile.  IF you go elsewhere and you buy an "un-locked" flip-phone, be prepared to have 1/2 of the flip-phones cool stuff not functioning.  Wifey and I bought an unlocked ATT phone, it works with T-Mobile and most of its cool stuff is offline.

How do you know if you get one that there are things missing which is I guess what you mean when you say its offline?

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:03 AM

T Mobile you say? Flip phone your say?

Thanks Animal the LG Phone looks pretty good.   They have a new one available cheaper than

one fulfilled by Amazon

Does anyone know if they have the same return policy - I should try to check with Amazon but they

are not the easiest people to communicate with.

Anyway the LG seems to match what my needs are so this might be what i need.

I managed to get a message to the retailer about their return policy and should hear back in a few days.

Thanks again Animal

Edited by JayJax, 20 November 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

Thank you for the kind words. You're quite welcome on behalf of the BleepingComputer community.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:10 AM

"...I should try to check with Amazon but they are not the easiest people to communicate with..."

While Amazon Prime sometimes is not EZ to communicate with, I have found almost all vendors will work with the buyers to either:

-- authorize a return and issue a refund

-- authorize a return for an exchange

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

"...I should try to check with Amazon but they are not the easiest people to communicate with..."

While Amazon Prime sometimes is not EZ to communicate with, I have found almost all vendors will work with the buyers to either:

-- authorize a return and issue a refund

-- authorize a return for an exchange

Thanks I did manage to find a link to email the seller (2 different ones) - one said they would offer exchange/refund for 30 days and

one said due to their size they only offered return/refund for 7 days.   

Anyway since then I have found the LG phone on ebay (I don't go there much anymore the past few years due to the prices not

being not so much a discount) - it was about $30 cheaper so I took a chance and ordered one thru ebay.   I don't have a paypal account - it always turned out to be a hassle for some reason so I had to used my debit/credit and I do not have as much confidence in ebay seller's integrity as I do with Amazon but anyway the phone is not due to arrive for about a week or so and it was going to take about that long from Amazon as well.   So that's where things are.  I think maybe the phone is shipped from China for some reason I got that impression.  I'll leave a note how it all works out.

Thanks to you and Animal and B.C. too.  Sometimes I need help getting out of "procrastinate" mode - I hate

when that happens.

Oh I just got an email update from the ebay seller that the phone had shipped with an estimated delivery date of Monday Nov 28.

Edited by JayJax, 21 November 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

Did you buy New or Like New or Slightly Used?  If not New, when you get it, put your SIM card in and gently but thoroughly give it a good road-test.  Look for cosmetic damage, look for hinge damage, etc.  If you end up sending it back, remember to erase the phone's internal memory and to remove your SIM and SD micro cards.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:24 PM

Did you buy New or Like New or Slightly Used?  If not New, when you get it, put your SIM card in and gently but thoroughly give it a good road-test.  Look for cosmetic damage, look for hinge damage, etc.  If you end up sending it back, remember to erase the phone's internal memory and to remove your SIM and SD micro cards.

It is new.  I don't feel confident buying something used or rejected/returned by someone else.   For cars, its different - I have bought used cars and had good luck mostly.   But for something like this I prefer to spend a little more for new - what is your opinion I'm curious?

Yes good suggestions about if the need comes to return which I hope it does not but anyway that would be most distressing to forget to remove the Sim card.  The things most important to me are clarity/volume, reliable connections and how well it holds a charge.    I have had phones in the past that sometimes the sound was so muffled you had to strain to make out what people said, most frustrating especially if you wait in que a long time only to find the need to hang up and try the call again.  Anyway the reviews as to those features for this phone seemed to be favorable.

Edited by JayJax, 21 November 2016 - 10:27 PM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

Wifey and I have been using both Samsung T-259 and LG-450; both do fairly well with the software goodies built in.  When the connection between phone to phone is aok, one can hear really well and the other can hear you really well.  Phones do not really compensate for most "external" problems.  The learning curve is not bad at all.  While the T-259 will take a sd-micro memory card, the LG-450 [**] that we have will not take a sd-micro memory card.  Make sure you buy what you want.

[**] You will have to Bluetooth any and all still and moving shots you took over to a computer.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 November 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#14 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

Wifey and I have been using both Samsung T-259 and LG-450; both do fairly well with the software goodies built in.  When the connection between phone to phone is aok, one can hear really well and the other can hear you really well.  Phones do not really compensate for most "external" problems.  The learning curve is not bad at all.  While the T-259 will take a sd-micro memory card, the LG-450 [**] that we have will not take a sd-micro memory card.  Make sure you buy what you want.

[**] You will have to Bluetooth any and all still and moving shots you took over to a computer.

I don't do much with the camera really - is that all the memory card is for - pictures and files?  Somewhat off-topic but anyway: ever wonder how many hours are spent on average posting Selfies on Facebook?.  Maybe the answer depends on whether you are the father of young daughters?

I have a sim card from my current phone I hope will fit into the new one.

I have a good quality set of headphones that I could use on the phone I had before the current one, I don't remember what kind it was.  Anyway just by plugging them in I could use them during conversations to hear and speak.   But those headphones won't work on my current phone because the headphones have a round plug which the phone does not have.   I hope those will work on the new phone.

I also have a set of blue tooth headphones and they will work on the current phone however its a bit more hassle to use them because they have to be charged or they won't work and an extra step when a call comes in.   I don't use them for short calls but if its going to be a long call like to a government agency like IRS or Social Security where I don't want to miss any detailed info.   Or if its on a call where there's a problem not with volume but with clarity which seems to me to happen only on certain phone numbers and not on others.

I need a reliable phone first and foremost which is one reason I don't want a smartphone - just more things to malfunction.  Plus I don't do well with a touch screen.   I'm not that old but I'm too old I guess to pick up on all this stuff.   I live in an area where house break-ins are a frequent occurence and I don't want to find myself needing to call 911 and then have trouble with my phone.

I guess I missed it somehow that you have both these phones?

Edited by JayJax, 22 November 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#15 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:04 PM

I wanted to report that the phone came in ahead of time, a pleasant surprise about 2 days ago.   I finally got the time to

change phones, charge it up and so forth and everything has gone smoothly - the phone seems reliable but I've yet to have a conversation using it.   All seems straightforward - a few little things to figure out but I did want to say that it seems to have charged much faster than I'm used to - I think I will be quite satisfied overall.   It's simple enough to operate and should hopefully be reliable so I thank you guys for putting me onto this phone.   I did buy a cover/case for it in a bright color which was inexpensive - I wanted it because the black or silver colors (this one is navy blue) they usually are don't stand out if you are trying to figure out where you left it - I'm bad about laying it down somewhere and can't find it until someone calls and hopefully I can track it down when its ringing although once or twice the battery has run totally down and I was on my own.   Anyway the case will hopefully help to make it more visibile.    Am I the only one who has this problem I wonder.   I swear I lost it once thought it was gone forever - I double-checked my car to no avail.   So I had just resigned myself to it when it "magically" reappeared where I had looked several times.   Which is another reason I wanted the case so that it doesn't blend in with the background.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users