Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a system image with windows

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Veng3r

Veng3r

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

Hi, I created a few system images with windows 7 while installing updates and programs etc on a new install but when I reverted back to one of them after some experiments with installing windows updates I noticed that the windows update history was empty.

There were definitely a couple of updates installed and showing in update history when the system image was created so I'm not sure why the history is empty after restoring the image. I thought this made an exact copy of the system drive and everything would be the same when the image was restored so I'm not sure what's happened.

It's not a big issue as I'll be reinstalling windows again on this laptop once I've figured out the correct process to get updated without telemetry so I'm just curious as to what's going on.

Is there a better utility for making a system image rather than using windows? I just want something that'll backup the whole drive the os is on once I've got the whole system setup so I can recover to this state in the future if need be without reinstalling the os, updates, programs and changing all settings back again.

I thought the windows system image utility would be fine for this but if it's missing the update history who knows what else is missing from the backup and I just don't trust it now.

Thanks.

Edited by Veng3r, 19 November 2016 - 04:32 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup, Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

I suggest you look at the following free programs. All let you create a bootable CD or USB in order to recover a image to a computer that does not boot or to a new drive.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup

#3 Veng3r

Veng3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Cheers, I'll have a look at those but I don't really want to create a bootable usb and cd's aren't really big enough. I just want to create a backup image that I can save in a folder on a usb drive like the windows utility does. Preferably with a standalone program, something simple like the windows utility.

Any idea what's going on with the windows system image?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

Are you talking about System Restore Points and also about Windows Backup's images?

If you're wanting restorable full OS partition images and restorable full Data partition images, it is best to create both a usb and a DVD boot containing Macrium Reflect or any other similar backup/restore program; and aim your backup images to go onto any available, affordable, trusted external media -- such as giant usb sticks [**], DVD sets, or usb platter-driven external hard-drives [**].  

[**] Just make sure you get the ones that do not contain on-board/circuit-level encryption.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Veng3r

Veng3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

I'm using Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create a system image

I thought this backed up the whole drive? It showed my C drive and the system reserved partition so I thought it backed everything up like an imaging program?

Cheers.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:57 PM

I'm using Control Panel > Backup and Restore > Create a system image .  I thought this backed up the whole drive? It showed my C drive and the system reserved partition so I thought it backed everything up like an imaging program?  Cheers.

The built in Windows backup/restore can be and has been problematic for some, no problem for others.

I think even the built-in W B/R has to have a usb or dvd boot in order to perform a restore if Windows Prime cannot be accessed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Veng3r

Veng3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

I've got my installation disk so I can get into repair options if the computer doesn't boot so that's not an issue. Can I create and save a system image in a folder on a usb hdd with Macrium Free that will work with the windows installation disk repair options?

Thanks!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

You cannot back up to the same disk you are imaging. Is this what you tried doing. You need an external drive with enough free space for the backup system image.

A CD would be enough for the bootable media of the programs I linked to.The bootable media does not include the System Image.  It is used to boot the imaging program to a basic UI on a computer that does not boot in order to restore the system image from an external storage device. Lets say you needed to restore the image to a clean unformatted disk because your hard drive failed. You would boot the CD which detects your new drive and external drive that has your backup system image. The image is restored to the blank drive which would automatically partition and format it. 

#9 Veng3r

Veng3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

I know the image can't be saved to the disk that's being imaged. That's not what I'm trying to do.

I don't want to have to install a program and burn bootable media, one or the other is enough.

Can I create and save a system image in a folder on a usb hdd, with Macrium Free or any other program, that will work with the windows installation disk repair options so I don't have to burn their bootable media?

If not is there a program that will also create the system image while running off the bootable media, like a cd, so I don't have to install a program to create it?

Cheers.

Edited by Veng3r, 19 November 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

Can I create and save a system image in a folder on a usb hdd, with Macrium Free or any other program, that will work with the windows installation disk repair options so I don't have to burn their bootable media?

No, you cannot do that. No program I know of works with the Windows Disk Repair Options. 

If not is there a program that will also create the system image while running off the bootable media, like a cd, so I don't have to install a program to create it?

The only bootable disk that can do this without installing anything is a Clonezilla Live CD and that program is not the easiest to use. 

#11 Veng3r

Veng3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:01 PM

Cheers, clonezilla looks perfect!

I'll be using it on two different pc's, one with a ssd & gpt and one with a hdd & mbr. Will using the beginner mode be sufficient for backing up the whole ssd or hdd that my win 7 os is on? Or will I have to mess with the advanced parameters depending on which pc I'm backing up?

Thanks.

Edited by Veng3r, 19 November 2016 - 11:02 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

The beginner mode should work fine. I have never used the expert mode myself. 

#13 smithee16

smithee16

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:41 AM

I had to implement a disk backup I made of a clean Windows installation that was fully updated with my hardware drivers and essential programs using Aoemi Backupper a few days ago. It went by without a hitch. It was the first time I'd ever utilised imaging software, and thankfully it worked out well. In my case, the Windows updates that I'd downloaded and installed prior to making the image were present and functional after image restoration, if that's any comfort. I was up and running in 30 minutes.

#14 Veng3r

Veng3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

I'm trying to use clonezilla but it's just freezing on this screen http://clonezilla.org/fine-print-live-doc.php?path=./clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image/01-clonezilla-boot-menu.doc#01-clonezilla-boot-menu.doc no matter what options I choose, default or other modes, once I select one it stays on that screen and it doesn't respond. After pressing a few arrow keys it starts to bleep when a key is pressed and the only way out is to press ctr alt and delete and it reboots.

I've tried the stable clonezilla-live-2.5.0-5-amd64 and the alternate clonezilla-live-20161024-yakkety-amd64 but neither work. I've confirmed the checksums of the iso and all the files on the cd after burning so it's not a problem with the cd I've burn't or the iso I've downloaded.

I'm trying it out on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop first, it's a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400 (2M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) 64-bit Instruction Set & Intel® 64 architecture. The operating system that came with the computer was a 32bit version of vista, I put Windows 7 x64 on there and it worked perfectly so I'm not sure why the amd64 version isn't working. I guess I'll try the i686 PAE version and the i486 version but that's a lot more burning and options to go through...

Does anyone have an idea of how long clonezilla is supposed to sit on that screen I linked to above? I've left in 5 or 10 mins and the cd and computer are werring away but it just sits there...

I don't trust windows system image after my experiences with it and I'd like to avoid installing a program on the computer like the others suggested above, so getting clonezilla to work is what I'm hoping to achieve.

Any help or advise offered is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Veng3r, 23 November 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

I am pretty sure you can use the i686 version.

http://drbl.org/faq/fine-print.php?path=./2_System/97_different_arch_clonezilla_live.faq#97_different_arch_clonezilla_live.faq

It should not sit on that screen. You may have better luck with an older version of Clonezilla. Trusty is based on Ubuntu 14.04.

http://free.nchc.org.tw/clonezilla-live/old/20141030-trusty/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users