Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset to Factory Settings, Computer wont update + 2 other problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TroyTurton

TroyTurton

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

Problem #1 that just happened and has happened since I finished Setting my computer back to factory settings. Even though I have updates set to Automatic Update. A window keeps popping up saying I need to set it that way?? So I click it any way, and that's when a svchost starts to go through the roof.

Problem #2, that is mentioned about. This svchost, that points back to system 32. Once activated ( how ever it gets that way, other then what I mentioned above ) Then goes sky high, to the point I fear the computer will start to fly off my desktop. It's shot up as high as 1,500,000Ks, and even peaked up near 2,400,000 K while trying to update last night. So I finally just shut the computer down. Because I was afraid to leave it that way over night, or it might just fry my computer period.

Which leads to Problem 3, ( which is really problem one but ) where and how this all began. It all began with me being very unsatisfied with the way my computer was running. I was getting Problem 2, among others. But now compared to what I've seen happen since the reintsall? That same svchost was only rising to 400,00 & 560,000 before doing the reinstall. The computer wont update. I've had it running for 6 hours, all the time I've had to keep "ending process" on that svchost. Because those numbers and super high CPU & Memory #s also scare me.

This is the 4th time ( 2nd on this machine ) I have done a set back to factory settings on a Windows 7 64 home edition. I did it twice before, on my first Windows 64, and once before ( in Dec. 2015 ) On this one. First 3 were completely successful, it isn't that difficult after all. I know there are obviously a lot of updates, since Windows 7 was first introduced in 2010, 2011. All the previous updates show 10-25-2011. So I know there will be a crap load of updates, an it will take many hours to search for, download and install. But it NEVER took 6 hours just to search for updates.

I had an update problem just like this, on the previous version of this machine. Forever running search for updates.

How do I FIX this damn problem? I'm read to try resetting back again, or just throw this damn thing across the room.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Standard problem now on clean installs of Windows 7. You should download and install IE11 and .NET 4.6.1 before proceeding. If you do an advanced search in BC for Windows 7 update problems you will see you are not alone. There is a convenience rollup package that has all updates from SP1 to April 2016.

Please read the following guides.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-08.htm

#3 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Standard problem now on clean installs of Windows 7. You should download and install IE11 and .NET 4.6.1 before proceeding. If you do an advanced search in BC for Windows 7 update problems you will see you are not alone. There is a convenience rollup package that has all updates from SP1 to April 2016.

Please read the following guides.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-08.htm

Hello John C :)  Do you mean before I proceed with the 2 links you posted. I should install the 2 links you provided?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

Yes, but if the OS is not at SP1 you would need to install that first.

#5 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

I know SP1 is on my computer already, because someone else suggested in install the download he linked to, which was for SP1. I downloaded and tried to install it, but was told I already have SP1.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

Okay then install IE11 and .NET 4.6.1.

You might want to read through this BC thread also. See the last page. There are over 39000 views

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616671/what-is-going-on-with-windows-update/page-4?hl=%2Bupdates#entry4100782

#7 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:27 PM

OKie dokie, and thank you very much for your help up to this point. Keeping my fingers crossed it works.

#8 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Okay then install IE11 and .NET 4.6.1.

You might want to read through this BC thread also. See the last page. There are over 39000 views

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616671/what-is-going-on-with-windows-update/page-4?hl=%2Bupdates#entry4100782

Ok John, I installed those 2 updates, shut down and watched them do their thing before the compshut down. Restarted now and am back. I've scanned the last 2 pages of this link above you suggested. And am wondering if you know which suggestion I should try now? Should I waste time trying to go to the update site or what?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

I would personally follow the instructions in the tweaking.com guide first. That guide is the most comprehensive and after following the instructions you should be good to go.

#10 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

I'm searching for updates now, and things are calmer then before. But that svchost is still at 1,500,000, CPU is lower then before at 25%, Memory at 69. But doesn't sound loke it's going to fly off my desktop. lol

I would personally follow the instructions in the tweaking.com guide first. That guide is the most comprehensive and after following the instructions you should be good to go.

Ok, so I'll check out the tweaking guide then :)

#11 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:15 AM

Don't know if anybody else found this but, it darn sure has worked for me. I'm now downloading over 200 updates as I'm posting this :) Keeping my fingers crossed, it finishes them all now -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3200747

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the link and update. After your updates finish look for kb3177467. This is the updated servicing stack for September 2016. Starting in October all updates are now part of one rollup package. There are no longer any individual updates.

#13 TroyTurton

TroyTurton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the link and update. After your updates finish look for kb3177467. This is the updated servicing stack for September 2016. Starting in October all updates are now part of one rollup package. There are no longer any individual updates.

Yeah, that update is in the over 200 updates I've installed since last night. All of them were successful, except KB2965788   I downloaded what I thought was the separate update for it, but it said it isn't applicable to my computer. Weird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users