Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP prebuilt, i7 not posting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 exiled1

exiled1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

I have a HP ENVY h8 Model number h8-1409 that wont post. (link to build http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03516171 )

A friend bought it a year and a half ago, ans has used it lightly. Mostly for video streaming (ie- netflix to tv, dvd to tv, etc. Not live game streaming). And when you hit the power button, the fans spin, but no POST, no beeps.

When i recieved it, i opened it up, and it was pretty dirty inside with a combo of dust and tobacco smoke. Other than that, nothing too out of the ordinary. So i cleaned out all the fans and heat sinks, and did the following 

1) First thing i assumed was the video card crapped out, so i tried unhooking the GPU, and running onboard graphics. With the video card unhooked, it wont even spin the fans.

2) I dropped in a GTX 650 in the old cards place(i know it works, im using it in my current computer as i type this), and now it spins the fans again, but still no beeps, no POST.

3) tried a different PSU, and did the same steps as step 2. still the same thing.

4) tried removing one stick of ram at a time. it also wont spin the fans or do anything with a missing stick of ram. so i dropped in one of my sticks out of my current computer, and yet again, same thing as step 2. ( i dont have enough ram to swap every single one, but  tried various combinations of my ram, and the ram it came with)

5) removed CPU, checked pins, all looks good. 

6) put it all back to factory build, no change.

any other suggestions on what to try? i assume the mobo or cpu is toast, but im unsure how to troubleshoot farther. any ideas welcome! :)

edit: added link to the computer off HP's website

Edited by exiled1, 19 November 2016 - 02:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

FWIW

Louis

#3 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

FWIW

Louis

thanks for that, but i am getting no beep, or LED codes

edit: At least i dont think so. When i power on, power LED stays solid, and there is a red LED bar that stays red. Though, i was told that one has been like that since new. Looks like a case accent light more than a troubleshooting light. 

edit 2: ok, so kind of strange..

I booted it again... and just out of curoisity, i pressed the dvd drive open button and it lost all power. so i turned it back on.. and im getting something out of the display

it gives the specs of the computer, ie CPU, RAM, and then says "Default BIOS settings have been loaded, 510 splash screen image corrupt"

F1 - Boot

When i hit f1, it looped and did the same thing.

i hit f1 again, and it went to the windows icon, and then display cut, and nothing again.

Edited by exiled1, 19 November 2016 - 04:33 PM.

#4 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:24 PM

latest update.

Got it to do what i described once more. I can get to the bios menu now. i can also perform HP's system diagnostic. Everything in there comes back as "passed" ( CPU, Memory, HDD, boot, run in, etc)

If i insert a windows disc, and try to boot from cd, it just boot loops. ( soon as it tries to spin up the drive, doesnt even start to read it)

If i try to boot from the HDD, it loops (doesnt show loading windows)

if i select boot UEFI from cd drive, and select the windows boot efi, it will say "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" and if i hit any key... it loops. 

However, if i dont hit any key, it says "UEFI loaded with errors"

I disabled fast boot, disabled UEFI, enabled legacy, disabled legacy, pretty much every possible combination of settings in the BIOS, and still nothing.

Put in a blank HDD, same thing.. 

Put in a failed HDD from a previous computer.. it detected it was failed.

cleared the cmos several times between trying different hardware configs.. (swapping around, and trying different RAM, HDD, GPU etc)

hooked up a different PSU and did the whole process all over again.

motherboard fried?

Edited by exiled1, 19 November 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Unfortunately, I think you've gone through every troubleshooting step, so it is safe to assume your motherboard is fried. If you need a list of replacements I can help.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:50 PM

what are the chances it could be the CPU?

He said he would rather go without a computer if its going to cost some coin. Dont really want to replace the motherboard if the cpu is garbage too. but if its just the motherboard.. thats inexpensive enough..

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

Since you can't boot any of the drive, it is most likely the motherboard is faulty and need to be replaced. It would be easier if you have another motherboard to test, but it need to be compatible with the CPU.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

i guess my other question, if i were to replace the motherboard, what are the chances saving the windows 10 OS thats currently on the HDD?

According to windows, replacing the motherboard is considered building a new computer, but apparently some people have found legal ways around that. but i cant figure out 100% on the process

i know he wont be able to afford replacing both the motherboard AND windows.

maybe i should just offer him some cash and use the cpu to build a new system for myself and upgrade from my a8 5500  :P

Edited by exiled1, 20 November 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

So many un -related faults and then all appears well.  Check the CMOS battery.  The power supply was suspect but may have just been start up jitters, the fault on opening the optical drive door causes the drop of power.  Check the boot order to insure booting from DVD is first.

#10 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

I set it to boot from cd/DVD first and it did the whole "boot from cd/DVD press any key"

And it did, made it to the windows 10 recovery section. But crashed shortly after.

Never did it again. Wouldn't even give the option for "press any key to boot from cd" again unless I manually selected to boot from the efi on the disk in the bios menu

But even after it made it past that screen it would just loop and post again.

I'll swap the battery out when I get home and see what happens.

Thanks!

#11 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:36 PM

Well. Replaced the cmos battery. Still the same.

Still won't boot to cd or hdd.

One thing I noticed is a hear the fans ramp down soon as it attempts to boot anything. Then as it loops, i hear a click.. and they ramp back up.

Almost sounds like there is major power draw somewhere that is overpowering the psu and crashing the system.

But it does this with the stock 460 watt psu. A 350watt psu. And a 500 watt psu. The 350 and 500 I know work fine.
The 350 has never been used. Came with my current computer and I swapped it out for my 500w on day one. The 500 is running my personal computer right now.

#12 exiled1

exiled1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:25 PM

alright... this is odd.

I unhooked everything..

pulled everything out of the case, inspected everything for burnt connections, or corrosion. Couldnt find anything.

Put it all back together, and it did its typical thing a few times.. then i read you can hold the windows key, and B while powering up to recover a corrupted BIOS.. its supposed to boot into its recovery, and take several minutes to complete.

this didnt happen, it simply wouldnt boot at all, so i just let it do its thing (no display, just fans spinning) for about 15 seconds (have done this before to no avail) 

all of a sudden "restoring your previous version of windows" pops up and has been stuck there for 25 min. 

I dont want to inerupt it, so im going to let it just do its thing for a while... but.. something is clearly haywire..

edit: Scanning and repairing drive. made it to 35%, boot looped twice, and is now loaded windows. currently displaying windows login screen..

im afraid to bump it... lol

maybe something wasnt seated right? or something was shorting the mobo? i dont know.. im confused as i can be right now. going to shut it down and reinstall the rest of the ram

Edited by exiled1, 21 November 2016 - 11:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users