I have a HP ENVY h8 Model number h8-1409 that wont post. (link to build http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03516171 )
A friend bought it a year and a half ago, ans has used it lightly. Mostly for video streaming (ie- netflix to tv, dvd to tv, etc. Not live game streaming). And when you hit the power button, the fans spin, but no POST, no beeps.
When i recieved it, i opened it up, and it was pretty dirty inside with a combo of dust and tobacco smoke. Other than that, nothing too out of the ordinary. So i cleaned out all the fans and heat sinks, and did the following
1) First thing i assumed was the video card crapped out, so i tried unhooking the GPU, and running onboard graphics. With the video card unhooked, it wont even spin the fans.
2) I dropped in a GTX 650 in the old cards place(i know it works, im using it in my current computer as i type this), and now it spins the fans again, but still no beeps, no POST.
3) tried a different PSU, and did the same steps as step 2. still the same thing.
4) tried removing one stick of ram at a time. it also wont spin the fans or do anything with a missing stick of ram. so i dropped in one of my sticks out of my current computer, and yet again, same thing as step 2. ( i dont have enough ram to swap every single one, but tried various combinations of my ram, and the ram it came with)
5) removed CPU, checked pins, all looks good.
6) put it all back to factory build, no change.
any other suggestions on what to try? i assume the mobo or cpu is toast, but im unsure how to troubleshoot farther. any ideas welcome!
edit: added link to the computer off HP's website
Edited by exiled1, 19 November 2016 - 02:02 PM.