Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Some settings are managed by your organization"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 weybrew

weybrew

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

I have this warning in my Settings windows for Security. I heard it had something to do with an anti-virus conflict with Defender and add'l AV software but find I cannot enable Defender. I have tried every posting solution regarding Group Policy Editor and am still stuck with this throttled setting. Does anyone have the solution, please?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:49 PM

If you have no antivirus program installed and Windows Defender still not enabled than use my batch script to enable Windows Defender.

Enable or Disable Windows Defender

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for your reply, FreeBooter. Your instructions are quite thorough and detailed, but quite frankly way beyond my abilities to handle. I'll try to get an IT guy to help me follow it.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

There is a batch script you can execute at my tutorial this batch script will enable or disables Windows Defender run the batch script as a administrator.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

Ran both the Enable and Disable scripts... unfortunately nothing has changed. I'm beginning to think that I created the problem after my Windows 10 update by using some "fix win10 privacy" program. I just don't know how to fix it. Running Restore doesn't seem realistic since it has been several months since the upgrade and the reset would make massive changes.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

You could run a Reset with the "keep my files" option to see if that fixes it.

Yes, you might lose some programs that you have installed as part of the reset but if you have the media they came on, or they're downloads [and/or you have the license keys for those that need them] you can simply reinstall.

This option keeps each and every one of your data files, but gives you a clean slate copy of the operating system.  It keeps certain programs, mostly Microsoft ones, but not exclusively.  The process creates an HTML file on your desktop that lists precisely what programs were removed, so it's easy to know what you need to reload.

If you wish to try this open Settings -> Update & Security and choose the Recovery pane.  Then click the "Get Started" button under the "Reset this PC" area.  You will be asked if you wish to keep your personal files or do a complete wipe and install.  You obviously want to keep your personal files.

If this works I would strongly advise again trying any of the privacy enhancer programs with the possible exception of Spybot Anti-Beacon if you absolutely must.  It's very easy to get Windows 10 to behave almost precisely as earlier versions of Windows did as far as what gets sent back to Microsoft for analysis if you tweak all your Privacy settings to your liking and also your Cortana & Search settings.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

To keep a record of your system profile at any given time, you can publish to the Web using Speccy. Speccy uses Piriform's servers to publish the profile without any identifying information. Each profile is given a unique URL. For an example, see:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nGmV1yekiTFbWJJ1oggVwcV

The last part of each URL is randomized, so only people you provide with the URL will be able to find your profile.

Note: Each time you start Speccy, it will generate a new randomized URL. This is useful if you want to track your computer's information over time.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

• In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

• Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

• In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

PDF report via email reply. Also attached here.

Attached Files

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

We need link to the Speccy log the pdf file is hard to read.

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

http://tinyurl.com/hjz3ldx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users