Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Replaces Command Prompt with PowerShell in Latest Windows 10 Build

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

You can still stick with Command Prompt… for now

For the moment, the company still gives users the possibility of sticking with Command Prompt, but it’s not yet clear for how long, as Microsoft is expected to get rid of it completely at some point in the future.

“For those who prefer to use Command Prompt, you can opt out of the WIN + X change by opening Settings > Personalization > Taskbar, and turning ‘Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the Start button or press Windows key+X’ to Off,” Dona Sarkar, head of the Windows Insider program, said.

Seeing the Command Prompt go is not at all a surprise, especially because PowerShell is an evolved version that provides more advanced functionality aligning with Microsoft’s efforts in Windows 10.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for sharing this, John. I saw it in our news the other day. I've been anticipating this for quite a long tine — what's the purpose of having two Command Shells? :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

None that I know of. Powershell is command prompt on steroids.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

Well, it's only "none" if each and every existing command in the old Command Prompt language has been aliased such that Power Shell can run it.

I dread to think of how many millions of .bat files are out there that are pivotal to a lot of stuff working correctly (I've actually got a couple of those myself that have been widely distributed to allow a piece of old software to run by playing date manipulation tricks before it's launched).   If .bat files suddenly can't or don't run as they always did things could get very ugly very fast.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

Post #4
I can back that statement up, there are a few tools I use that rely on .bat files.

Edited by rp88, 02 December 2016 - 09:04 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

:( microsoft bin trying to kill dos since 6.22 imho some would even say befor that, past windows XP 32bit you can't even go full screen in dos and now its powershell, depressing.

#7 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

Yep I just heard about this on computer world. after 36 years you can say good bye to MS-DOS.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Better still would be the new UEFI bios, best i can tell its mostly all for eye candy, i like the older stile GUI for bios but with UEFI bios and with eeprom memory "flash memory" you could have 128megs of eeprom "wouldn't cost much to do" if someone wanted or a combo of that and rom memory and rom memory is immune to attacks from virus's and you could have the code to flash the bios from their too as well as have a twin rom backup of your bios so immune to virus attacks as well so as to have a updated Ms-dos command line boot option at any time with no install, would run right from the motherboard with something  win 3.11stile and in 256 colors for that pro retro look "open source and new" all in their permanently installed on rom chips, id probably just take Linux command line seeing as unlike the Ms-dos command line that topic has not bin diminished.

Super DOS command line + a 256 color mini GUI Os + repair toolz build right in to your mobo all in rom , wouldn't that be cool ?

Edited by shadow_647, 08 December 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#9 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:47 PM

Just type cmd in powershell, and press return.  You have your command prompt.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

Just type cmd in powershell, and press return.  You have your command prompt.

But were Microsoft to actually dispose of Command Prompt I doubt that this 'cmd' command will be maintained.

Personally I hate how long it takes for PowerShell to initialize on first run on my machine.  It takes ages before any text and prompt appears.  After that, on subsequent invocations, it's ready to go when opened provided the machine has not been restarted.

So long as all the old command prompt commands are aliased in PowerShell I don't care much whether Command Prompt disappears or not.  All I care about is the untold number of .bat files out there can still do their jobs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

True i guess the name that we call it dousen't matter as long as its some kind of DOS and douse about the same thing, i wonder is it possable to make a bootable USB flash drive with powershell OS installed on it ?

That could be usefull for working on computers that are broked.

You know like it use to be possable to make basic DOS boot foppys in winxp or older windows, sadly nothing ever relly replaced floppy, well usb flash sticks did but thats about it.

Ps: i still have a floppy drive on all my computers.

#12 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

floppies are so outdated now I never see a floppy drive anymore.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#13 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

I know nothing about powershell.  I've never tried to use it.  I do however use command prompt quite a bit.  (for just a limited amount of things such as sfc /scannow etc...)  I went to You Tube to look up powershell and the videos are very long.  I don't need to know every detail of how to use it.  If it works differently than cmd prompt I'm not going to be thrilled. 

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

While PowerShell seems very intimidating, it is much more powerful and in my opinion, much more logical. Once you start using it — you'll love it! In PowerShell, commands are called cmdlets (pronounced Commandlets) and always follow the sequence Verb-Noun. For example, Get-ChildItem, which get the files and folders of a directory or drive, is a cmdlet, so is Set-Location, Stop-Process, Get-Member, Clear-RecycleBin, Get-Process, Get-Serivce, etc.

Fortunately, the developers of PowerShell realized that they were going to be many people like you, so they allowed good ole DOS commands to function in the same way. We can call those DOS commands in PowerShell, aliases. For example, dir (CMD) and ls (UNIX) are two aliases of the cmdlet Get-ChildItem. (Microsoft also knew that typing Get-ChildItem can be tedious, so we can just type gci, another alias.)

If you want to start using the Shell and are running Windows 7 or 8.1, you should install the Windows Management Framework 5.0, which includes the latest version of Powershell — PowerShell 5.0. Also, while many of the videos on YouTube are super long, there's a great series called Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches by Don Jones. The videos are very short — check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6D474E721138865A

P.S. You can still run external DOS commands in PowerShell such as sfc /scannow, chkdsk, etc.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#15 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thank you, that helps.  I will check out that series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users