Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is a safe and affordable way to backup lots of data?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hello,

If I have alot of external hdd's that total about 50 Terabyte, and I wish to back all the data up somewhere so I can retrieve it if/when one of the hdd's fail, what would be a safe and reasonably affordable way to do this?

At the moment, I am using Western Digital passport type external usb 3.0 drives. I am using many of them on a regular basis. So far none of them have failed me, and some of them are more than 5 years old. I do realize eventually, they will fail. First thought would be to buy additional external hdd's and just copy all the files to these, store them in a safe place and get them out when another drive fails. However, I recently read an article that said when using hdd's as backup media, you need to get them out every so often and rewrite all the data to them, in order to extend their life span. I don't like that at all. I rather would like to have something I can just write the files to, then lock them up somewhere and forget about them, until I need something off of them.

The article suggested backup solutions such as Bluray's and the Cloud. I know there are 100 Tb Blurays, but even if using those, it would take an awful lot of discs to backup all my data, and the Cloud is out of question, it would take lightyears to upload all those terabytes, and retrieving it would also be slow.

Aren't there any better solutions that aren't too pricey? Are external harddrives really so sensitive they must be used periodically or they will fail even if they are just sitting locked up in a cabinet for 20-25 years?

Edited by krs000a, 19 November 2016 - 09:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

A few things at a time.

Just how many data-containing hard-drives do you have?  And just how much byte-space is occupied by each data-containing hard-drive?  Can I assume your OS partition is separate and therefore distinct from all your data partitions/hard-drives?

I fully believe you can use Macrium Reflect, pay-for version, on this massive computer for not only making a full image of your OS partition periodically onto at least one if not two usb ext HDs.  If your present WD backup HDs work so far, use them.  I recommend Macrium Reflect pay-for because you can also do a "pick the folders and files" you want backed up.  There are many free versions that apparently do the same thing.

There is no need to periodically reFresh your WD HDs.  The fact that you will make at least one full image backup per quarter [or more often] of each one of your monster data hard-drives -- is reFreshment enough.

Just because I make full images of my OS and data partition onto two dedicated usb ext HDs, does not mean I recommend that for you -- you must do what is best and most sane for your situation.  At the very least, I recommend having one usb ext backup HD for each one of your massive data hard-drive.  Of course, it is best to have at least two, however, that might not be economical in monies or time in your situation.

I'll stop here, to be continued...

Edited by RolandJS, 25 November 2016 - 09:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

I have not mentioned Cloud backup at all because never having done so -- I am not qualified to advise on Cloud backup/restore operations, I mean, I can give opinions, however, those and $4.50 will buy you a Starbucks coffee.  Others in the know will have to weigh in concerning your 50TB+- data being backed up in The Cloud.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 November 2016 - 09:13 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users