Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC won't startup, help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VallumTech

VallumTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation. Two years ago I bought an Acer Predator PC for Christmas. I had an i7, Gtx 760, 8 GBs of RAM etc... Basically what happened a few months ago was the computer wouldn't start up. I figured the motherboard was the problem, so I ordered  a new motherboard and case from Amazon. I re-assembled the computer and the problem has not been solved. If you know anything please help me out!

I also made a video explaining my situation in more detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-p8Q3P8uUk

If you any need any more videos or pictures of the computer let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:45 AM

My method is to start testing each component 1x1 until we discover the problem. The cause of what you post in your video is mechanical, not software, at this point. The computer is auto-shutdown (obviously) so let's check the usual list of suspects for that.
> Reset the BIOS back to factory default. I have had several cases where the BIOS/CMOS was corrupted from the factory, and resetting it let the computer boot.

> Incorrect application of the thermal grease.

> Heatsink is not mounted evenly on the socket; it is very easy to miss this. All it needs is to be slightly ajar few mm's and it will auto-shutdown.

> CPU heatsink fan is plugged in to the wrong plug on the mainboard; make very sure it is connected to the correct socket, usually marked on the board as "CPU, or CPU PWR" or some such.

Following are less common reasons, but definitely possible:

> Bad power switch: if the power switch is not releasing totally it will maintain connection which sends a signal to power down. How to check: Power down. Detach at the mainboard the power switch wire plug (you probably connected this along with others when you connected the front panel utilities). Take a flat-bladed screwdriver and cross the two tiny exposed contacts on the mainboard. Your unit should power up and you should get the BIOS screen (or possibly boot into Windows) and it should stay running. If that happens, the power switch is bad. If you still have the same problem, unplug the reset switch button and try the same thing with the power switch test again. I have had bad reset switches short out and do the same thing.

> Bad power supply: hopefully you have a power supply tester; if you do not, and all the other tests above yield no help, swap with a good power supply.

Here is a guide to a bench build process that is good for troubleshooting before putting the whole thing together, you may find some test ideas there.

Please post back and let us know how it goes!

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 November 2016 - 09:47 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

Did you replace the motherboard...with one exactly identical to the original?

Are you using the hard drive originally packaged with the computer?

Are you using the original installed O/S?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users