Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rename Windows 10 system folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xspeed

xspeed

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:48 AM

Hi,

All the folders less ShellExperienceHost in the following 4 folders, has been renamed.

C:\Windows\SystemApps
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps​
C:\Windows\InfusedApps\
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Packages

It has gone a few days, and still everything is working normal, at least from what I can see

Can anyone please answer to the next 3 questions?

1.If is not already happening in the background, what it will happen or what it could happen sooner or later regarding the properly functioning of OS, services, system applications(I don't think I use any) or other used third party applications?

2. If it will not happen something for sure sooner or later, can someone please tell where are the biggest chances to something not work like it should?

- SECURITY of the OS + it's applications, other services, and third party programs.
- STABILITY(proper functionality) of the OS + it's applications, other services, and third party programs.
- SLOWING DOWN the System and the applications.

3. If you consider that something wrong will happen for sure, is there the option to prevent it without renaming only the OS dependencies folder? Or the only chance to prevent something bad which will happen 100% for sure, is to let all the names of the folders default, like they were before?

Thank you.

Edited by xspeed, 19 November 2016 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:11 AM

Why you need to rename system folders?

You can rename folders you create on your desktop, documents folder, pictures folder, etc. But renaming system folders will not make your computer running any faster, fixing any problems you are having, instead this will cause more problems to occur in your computer, some of the OS components might not work as it should.

From what I see, you are renaming the folder that is related to the Store apps, this will cause all the pre-installed store apps to stop working, and might affect other things as well. If you would like to remove all the built-in Store apps, you can use powershell to do this: http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-remove-all-built-in-apps-in-windows-10/

This will uninstall all apps, you can also reinstall them afterward if you want. Deleting or renaming any folders inside Windows, Program Files, ProgramData etc will just cause the OS or applications to stop working and reducing the stability of OS (crash more often, BSOD, etc).

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 xspeed

xspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

Experiment, test, fun, try to understand what, why, how, when, were it will happen :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631731/how-to-remove-apps-which-cannot-be-removed-using-remove-appxpackage/#entry4120689

In the same time, enjoying to have an as minimal-CORE-light-net-smooth-micro-simple as possible configuration, as possible have on the OS ONLY the dependencies(like I have been doing my best to have as much as possible the minimal-CORE-light-net-smooth-micro-simple Linux configuration I could.

Maybe only a little bit for privacy and more for security, in my opinion, considering that any extra active service or application, and if keeping all those folders "active" could be exploited.

From my knowledge I don't use any of those app, or Windows store at all.

Regards.

Edited by xspeed, 21 November 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

If you are not going to use any of these apps just leave them alone, they won't slow down computer and you should not be worried about privacy.

To experiment with these things, it is better to run a VM and test it, it won't effect the host.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users