Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing ram on oem pc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MJPC

MJPC

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

Hello, i am repairing friend`s win xp pro oem pc.

About a half year ago hdd got broken on that pc, but computer service company made image from that hdd and put that image to new hdd and hdd to that pc.

Now i want take out small old memory and put in new ones. May this bring problems to that oem license activation ?

How big is the risk that i can "destroy" that license?

Sorry for bad english language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:32 AM

There is no license association with the memory. No risk of losing the license.

Just make sure you put the right RAM in, preferably look up the motherboard specs and buy something that has the same timing and DDR type.

Remember also that 32bit XP has a 3.25GB limitation on RAM, so there's no point in putting in more than than 4GB.

#3 MJPC

MJPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

Thank You.

I have one more question:

I want to test another hdd with that same image that is installed at the moment in that pc harddrive.

If i disconnect internet and change hard drives, put image to new drive and put it in pc to test and later change it back, does it saves some info somewhere so i have activation problem later?

I suspect that hard drive have some problems, so i need to test another hdd with same image in same pc.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

Windows automatically stores the license key on a hard drive when Windows XP is installed.  As long as the hard drive has no problems...this license data can be retrieved or viewed anytime.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users