Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anyone have an Orange popup banner in IE telling you to update to True Key?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chipstuf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

I’m confused about “True Key”.  Maybe there are two “True Key” apps out there. One by Intel Security which is a “bio” login and password manager (which BTW, only allows 15 passwords until you need to upgrade [read: pay something like $10 a month]). The other seems to be malware and creates a lot of angsts in the community leading folks to want to uninstall it, which is VERY problematic.  But on the bright side, it’s free. I fall into the second category. I won’t even mention how Intel Security (McAfee) are taking Safe Key away and nagging me with a tenacious popup until I give in and THEN charging me for it.  Ok, I lied about not mentioning it, but I feel a lot better now.  

Before I start, I’m running Win 10, with Office 365, and IE 11.

A few weeks ago a banner started appearing at the top of my IE pages, just below the toolbars. It’s orange and says, ‘Time to update to True Key, the latest in password security’. This banner usually pops up a few seconds after starting IE. It does have an “x” to close it, but it returns in a few minutes. Then on the right side of the banner is a button to ‘Find out how’. If you click it, it sends you to here:

Here’s a summation of what it says:

Update to True Key™

True Key™ by Intel Security simplifies access to your digital world by removing the hassle of multiple

passwords. The True Key app uses factors that are unique to you to safely and easily unlock your apps, sites and devices. We'll even transfer your saved passwords from SafeKey.

It's easy. It's super-secure. And it's included with your subscription.

How to get it

Option 1:

Click the email link in your inbox

Check your inbox for the subject line "Have you updated SafeKey to True Key yet? Get it now."

Just click on the link in the email to automatically download and install True Key.

Don't see the email? Check your spam folder.

Option 2:

Go to My Account

Log in to your My Account page. Scroll down to My True Key, and click Get started.

Follow the prompts to download and install True Key on all your devices.

Still have questions? See our FAQs.

If you now click on ‘FAQs’, it sends you here (sometimes):

Here’s a summation of what that says:

McAfee SafeKey is no longer supported. Please refer to the options for discontinued products.

True Key is replacing SafeKey. You must migrate your data before March 30, 2016

Document ID: TS102300

McAfee SafeKey
Intel Security True Key

You might have been advised (by email or by a notification in your SafeKey browser toolbar) to migrate from the older McAfee SafeKey product to the new version: Intel Security True K­ey. This article describes how to migrate your SafeKey data to True K­ey.

Migrate your SafeKey data now; you will lose access to your data after March 30th.

On March 1st, 2016 SafeKey entered the formal End Of Life (EOL) status – meaning that Intel Security's commitment to SafeKey has ended. What this means to you is that SafeKey will soon cease functioning,

After March 30th, 2016 you will no longer be able to log in to SafeKey from either:

In addition, after March 30th, Technical Support will not be able to assist you with any problems with SafeKey, or with migrating your data. Technical Support can only assist in removing the SafeKey program from your device.

I have searched the web for every combination of “Orange”, “bar”, “banner”, “True Key”, “Truekey”, “Orange hair” [I did get a lota hits on that] and every combination of the text in the Orange bar to no avail.  I just can’t be the only one that has an Orange bar in my IE! I did find two hits about True Key, but no mention of an orange bar (very annoying!).  Ok, I know what you’re thinking, but I’ve been a UNIX System Engineer (now Linux) for 30 years now, I’m not a newbie.  Anyone else have an Orange bar. And I’m not talkin’ ‘bout Trump’s hair.

Oh, did I mention that after you finally install True Key, the Orange bar doesn't go away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:48 AM

Browser Extentions is where you need to look., read here

Control Panel if you want to get rid of it.

(right-click on Win 10 start and select Control Panel and then Programs and Features.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users