Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate External Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 docmartn

docmartn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

I have a Seagate Barracuda 2T that can't be accessed. It spins but the USB no longer recognizes the drive. No beeps or clicks.

I've tired accessing from 3 different machines - two windows 10 and one W7

DL'd Seagate's recovery tool and I can see all the files. I didn't look at all the files but the ones I did show as "good" integrity.  I also DL'd Recuva and but I can't see the drive.

I broke the drive out of the case and I'm using an Anker SATA adapter to access drives.  Worked perfectly on two WD drives that I was about to toss.

The Seagate tools is $99 and it looks like it will accomplish goal... however I wanted to see if anyone had another - less expensive idea?

Thanks

JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

So currently the drive is attached to the Anker adapter? With the drive attached how is the drive listed in Disk Management? Does it say RAW?

#3 docmartn

docmartn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:13 AM

It doesn't say anything. I get a windows error message that the USB device is not recognizable.  The only way I was able to see the data was still there was via the Seagate Recovery software I downloaded.  It's a pre-view version of the software.  It only shows you if the data is accessible.  I have to spend $99 to attempt to transfer to another drive.  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

This looks like software similar to Minitools Data Recovery but in order for Minitools to work it's required that the drive is detected. If the data is important I would advise you use the tool.

The only other available tool would be Testdisk. But, in order for it to work it needs to detect the drive. Open a command prompt and with the external drive attached type

diskpart

list disk

Is your external drive in the list?

If so then download Testdisk and unzip to a folder on your desktop. Do not download the 64bit version. Double click the exe file and in the following Step by Step guide do a Quick Search. For you external drive it will be labeled sdb or sdc depending on how many internal drives you have. If a drive letter is show for scanning do not use it, only the sdx listing. If a partition is detected after doing a Quick Search press the "P" key. Do you see your files? If yes do not write anything. Post back.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

#5 tbobtrasman

tbobtrasman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

It is probably the micro USB port. I have a Seagate 500 GB and when it failed it had the same symptoms. The cure was horribly complex but I still use the drive after two years. 

Take it out of the case, unplug the drive from the firmware, get and use a $5 SATA>USB cable.  That's it.

At least with mine, there was a normal drive with sata pins. Yours should be the same as it would be crazy expensive to manufacture 2 different drive. Plus if you, as a manufacturer, hard wire the drives in you can't use the rarely-changing USB>SATA interface with Every Other External Drive You Manufacture.

I hope it helps. It is simple and cheap and the cable works with other drives. OH BTW: Mae sure the cable has two(2) USB plugs for the computer side. If the drive is a 3" or 5.25" one(1) port will not supply enough power to run the drive. I also used a powered USB hub with success, if you don't have two USB ports available.

T. Bob

Edited by tbobtrasman, 19 November 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#6 docmartn

docmartn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:20 PM

John C when you suggest using the tool I assume you mean the Seagate tool?  I'll try your suggestions above and see what happens.  Sometimes the drive shows and sometime it doesn't. Maybe I can catch it while using the Minitool DR.

@TBob - I'm using an Anker Sata adapter with it's power adapter so I don't think it's the USB port. 

I'll report back after trying suggestions.

Thanks a bunch!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

Yes, I suggest you use the Seagate tool if Testdisk finds nothing. Sounds like a failing drive if the drive is attached to the USB adapter and the detection is on/off on different computers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users