Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading, checking, burning, installing software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

I downloaded Linux Mint. I see a linuxmint-18-mate-32bit file in my Download folder. The user guide says to check it with sha256sum, which I also downloaded. I have no idea how to do this, and what the use guide mentions doesn't seem to  jive with what I have.

Now, when I look at This PC in Windows 10 the (D:) DVD Drive shows Linux Mint 18 MA 0 bytes free of 1.54 Gb CDFS. No idea how that happened either.

I currently have an audio cd in the (same) DVD drive. which shows up in This PC as another icon (E:) Audio CD.

Any clues how to do any of this?

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2016 - 04:18 PM.
Moved from Tips/Tricks to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

I use a utilitity called Bitser for this, you can download it from www.bitser.org, and it is very easy to use for checking hash sums in the Windows environment

Download and install Bitser. Copy and paste the checksum you got with the ISO into any text editor, anything from Notepad to Word, then RIGHT click on the ISO file in File Explorer and in the pop-up menu you should see 'Bitser'. Click on this and another little menu pops up, scroll down to the entry 'Checksum', click on this and select the type you want to check. After a moment or two a checksum will appear, copy this and paste it into the same text editor under the first one. You can then easily do a visual check to ensure that the two are identical.

If the disc you have the ISO on is 'closed' then it will show 0 free space. Windows assigns drive letters not quite at random - the OS is always on 'C' - but if you had a USB drive of any sort in this might have pushed your DVD drive down to 'E' from 'D'.

Just a note. If this DVD has the Mint ISO on it you will not be able to use it to install, the ISO needs to be 'unpacked' in some sense before you can use it as an installer. Everybody tells me you can do this directly from file Explorer but I have never managed it !  I was advised to try a very simple utitlity called BurnCDCC from www.terabyteunlimited.com. All this product does is take an ISO file and turn it into an installable disc and as it is just an .EXE file, you don't even install it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

On Windows I've used HashTab for quite some time. It adds a hashes tab to your Properties box from the right click context menu. Really simple.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

I think it's best to start with your computer Specs.  First off, I would not install 32bit if you are running a 64bit system.  Then, if you are going to download another iso, you could just use the Firefox Extension "Down Them All".  Down Them All will Verify the Checksum, stop a bad download and wait for the connection to re-establish itself, and then continue, among many other things.  You just add it to the Firefox Browser, no downloads and nothing installed.  If you take that path we can show you how to use it.

"sha256sum" which checksum do you have? here is the one for that iso:

d064397cd185fa4a91fd6db4ff42f105c121a7607691797325323135713a8810

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

@Chris Cosgrove - Bitser is very strong in encryption... it is amazing.

@RbtCmpt - Explorer++ might give more details... or for an even more intense inspection use MultiCommander. They're like file explorers "on steroids."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users