Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't load

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hey everyone,

I had a small issue ( related to driver update I think ) that made my sound icon disappear . So i looked a round online and came across the sevenforums. My pc is windows 8.1 by the way so I found a solution  which seemed to work. It basically was a registry file to fix this minor issue.

As a precaution I thought to make a safe copy of the registry incase anything went wrong and so I did. Thus I went ahead downloaded the registry file and restarted the pc. Basically nothing happened so I thought well I better revert back my registry because the fix didn't work.  And so I did , I open regedit and imported the safe keep copy of my registry ...

And here is when things start getting wrong , first I got an error saying that I may not have full administrator privileges  or the system is using the registry so it can't be changed or so...

Basically a minute or so later my pc lagged and the screen flickered continuously so I had to force shutdown, since then my pc won't go beyond the loading screen and is always showing me a black screen when I turn it on in windows.

I have my hdd divided and linux installed. The linux isn't able to access my hdd , but the hdd is working  properly ( i think ) since I can access the linux section of my drive with no issues.

but the linux system says I can't access the rest / shared section of my hdd since windows isn't turned off properly.

Desperate for help

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

See if you can access the Advanced Boot Options doing the following. This should allow you to do a System Restore.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
    • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
    • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
    • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
    • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
    • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

If you do not have a System Restore Point just before the driver update then open a command prompt using the above steps. Type the following

powercfg /h off

Reboot and see if you can access your Windows files with Ubuntu. 

http://askubuntu.com/questions/457224/failed-to-access-windows-8-1-ntfs-partition-from-ubuntu-13-10-even-after-disabl

#3 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:58 AM

I didn't try  the command prompt option but I tried the system restore option.  It was unsuccessful and the restore point was deleted. 

I didn’t update any drivers as a matter of fact , According to my understanding I messed up big time with the registry.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

You can pull the drive and use a USB adapter to backup the data on the windows partition and then reinstall Windows. Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool is here. Because the computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 it will self activate once online but grub will be gone and you will need to repair it in order to boot Ubuntu again. In any case I would back up any Ubuntu data first.

You may be able to pull the Windows partition data using a boot disk of Ubuntu as the drive will be offline but I can't confirm that.

#5 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:15 AM

@JohnC_21 do you think the refresh windows setting would fix it ? I don't really want to go through the hassle and work of re-installation and all that. I have found this link do you think it would work ?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-registry-root-cause-in-startup-repair/f77d5355-b8be-41d6-af24-cae994e1768f

If any of these 2 solutions would work could you confirm please.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

Replacing the registry files may work. That can be done with a live linux disk or by using the method in your link. But, if the dates for the registry hives in the regback folder are after your problem then it will not work.

A refresh with require that you reinstall all your programs and after the refresh linux may not boot. You would need to repair grub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users