Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping log to log latency issues in VOIP service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lewemoc

lewemoc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hi.i am in New York City. I work from home.

I have a 50Mbps (new Motorola high speed cable modem) ISP connection which should be enough for voip. I am using a Linksys WRT1900AC router. On the LAN side of the router I am running a TMobile cell spot device which provides me a 4 bar T-Mobile LTE connection in my apartment. . I also have an OOMA Telo VOIP for my land line. I also occasionally skype and FaceTime. I am not uploading or downloading large volumes of data.

I have pretty regular problems with BOTH my Skype/OOMA VOIP calls dropping and my Cell calls dropping in my apartment.

I suspect I could put both the Telo and the Cellspot on the WAN side of the Router (although I know they would both want to be first in line and there would be lots of pushing and shoving). However I suspect that the key issue is the ISP. I have done some pings on 8.8.8.8 and seen some packet loss and long pings. Not every ping but often enough to happen at least once or twice during a normal business call.

I would like advice on whether there is something I should do to optimize these devices for improved voip and more important whether there is a good Windows based utility or tool out there for tracking packet loss and latency. I would like to run this tool in the background on my PC so that I can rule out(or rule in) ISP and other factors and explain the dropped calls.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

There use to be a free version, maybe not anymore though:

http://www.pingplotter.com/gsg/whypingplotter.html

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

What model "modem" do you have? Is it perhaps actually a gateway?

#4 lewemoc

lewemoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for pingplotter.

I'm using a newer Motorola Surfboard Docsis modem, supposed to be good over 100Mbps.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

I'm using a newer Motorola Surfboard Docsis modem, supposed to be good over 100Mbps.

That is the manafacture of the modem, not the model. The model number will be printed somewhere on it like "SB6121" or " SBG6700-AC" as seen in picture below.

Arris_Motorola_SBG6700_mac_label.png

All I really need to know though is if it has more then 1 ethernet port on the back. If it does, it is NOT a modem but some kind of gateway, and possibly causing your problem.

Edited by Trikein, 19 November 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#6 lewemoc

lewemoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

Trikein I know the difference between a modem and a router.

The cable modem is a Surfboard SB6141 it has a coax connection and an Ethernet RJ45

My router is a Linksys WRT1900AC router (v1)

I am not daisy chaining two routers.

Edited by lewemoc, 19 November 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

Trikein I know the difference between a modem and a router.

I don't know what you know until/unless I ask. Having dual NAT is a very common problem so it was worth asking IMO.

"I have done some pings on 8.8.8.8 and seen some packet loss and long pings. Not every ping but often enough to happen at least once or twice during a normal business call. "

Could you post that data? A tracert would be most helpful. I was going to suggest QoS but it is prudent to make sure you don't have any network or ISP issues first. QoS can patch a hole that would better fixed.

::Edit:: Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose for your post. Were you looking for help troubleshooting the issue or were you just looking for help finding a tool that will in-turn help you troubleshoot the problem alone?

Edited by Trikein, 19 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#8 lingroot

lingroot

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

Also make sure that no other apps from phone/ Computer is eating your bandwidth while you are with VoIP call.
 Most ISP will do a path test on request which will reveal any issues with line.

Edited by lingroot, 13 December 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:44 AM

I have a 50Mbps

Last but not lest and probably not very helpful, but my 2 cents worth is.....

Just because you have 50Mbps that doesn't mean you have a good ping or a stable connection, my self i have 7Mbps ADSL and no VOip problems with my ISP, your ISP might be fast but might all so be slop at the same time and their only selling point is max bandwidth.

As well last i checked a Cable internet setup is shared with other users were as a ADSL is single user and dedicated.

As well if your not uploading/downloading anything you don't need 50Mbps.

7Mbps with a good connection and ping would be better and cost you less at the same time.

If your using quality network hardware all the way around and the same with lan cards "forget integrated junk" then i don't know what to say, but most of the time when i see people that bug me about lag and connection problems their all so using junk hardware, imho junk hardware and lame connections go hand in hand.

I don't know about the modem or the router, don't feel like doing research on that topic but their not the super cheap kind so that counts for at lest something, that leaves the lan cards and cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users