Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating drivers went wrong

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cesar211

cesar211

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hello guys.
I'm here seeking help due to a problem I've been facing for a long time.
First of all this all started when I was making some researching about how to change mac address. I changed due to the control I had with router's firewall. I first installed a programm that I thought was great and could do that with no problems. I thought wrong, it kinda messed up my wireless connection and from that moment I've started using LAN, once wireless wasn't available anymore (When I go to device manager and to "network adapets" the "802.11 n/g/b Wireless LAN USB Adapter" has a yellow icon with a "!" and when I double click on it the device status says "This device cannot start. (Code 10). 
I wonder if that has any kind of solution, but if it doesn't that's not the main reason why I'm making this thread. The main reason is basically due to a problem that happened to me yesterday. I installed driver booster and noticed that I had a lot of drivers out dated (incluiding some network adapters), so I decided to update them. When all the updates finished, I was no longer able to connect to internet. The yellow icon with a "!" appeared and the first thing I've tried to do to solve it was to run device manager and see if I could roll back the drivers. Some of them I could, some not. It didn't fix it so I tried a system restore and a startup restore which didn't work aswell, it would stay in the initial phase for hours, stuck on an infite load. As I saw there was no way around, I troubleshooted it to see what was the problem with the network and it seems like "Local Area Connection 2 doesn't have a valid ip configuration" was the problem. Made a lot of research, tried a lot of things but noone of those worked, so I'm hoping I can get some help here.
Appreciate all the help, cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Veng3r

Veng3r

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:29 PM

I don't know a tonne but I'll help where I can until someone can give you more detailed advise.

I know you shouldn't use those driver programs, they're useless. I'd download the drivers from the manufactures site or use device manager to search windows update.

On any of the drivers that aren't working and you can't roll back I'd probably uninstall them and reboot to see if windows pick it up and installs a driver automatically, if not see if device manager will get it when you search automatically. If that doesn't work I'd search for the driver on the manufacturers site and install it that way.

Hopefully that'll resolve it for you.

#3 cesar211

cesar211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

That would be awesome If I could access the internet so device manager could search those drivers automatically.

#4 Veng3r

Veng3r

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:45 PM

Hopefully uninstalling the lan and/or wireless driver and rebooting will prompt windows to install one that works without needing to go online. I'd assume that Windows should have one that a least works and will get you online unless it's really obscure. Once they're working you can search automatically in device manager for the others.

If that doesn't work use the drivers from the manufacturers site, but you'll need another way to download them like another computer if the one you're fixing can't go online.

Edited by Veng3r, 18 November 2016 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users