Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

I have a i5 4690 but my next computer I want to use the i5 but I don't know which one. I would like to step up when building a new computer. I did a cpu compare with the i5 6600 but it didn't do anything for an improvement. The i5 4690 is the 4th generation and the i5 6600 is the 6th generation so I'm missing something and I have been out of the game for building computers because I'm retired and need to re educate myself. Also I have no idea on what motherboard to use but I want to keep the cpu and motherboard under $250 each. Can anyone help an old man?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

There is not much better i5 than i5-4690 is. So save your money for later.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Have you looked at combos listed at Newegg?  i5 4690k motherboard combo - Newegg.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Have you looked at combos listed at Newegg?  i5 4690k motherboard combo - Newegg.com

I now looked at them. I looked at the combos i5-6600 which they will give you the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM all for a good price. The only thing I don't understand are the motherboards because I was going to buy a Motherboard for $200 but some of their combos motherboards are just a little over $100. I don't need a real powerhouse computer and I don't want to spend any more money than I need to. I have no idea which one would be my best buy. However I would like a motherboard that supports the USB 3.1 and I don't know about the USB type C. Could you take a look and give me your opinion?

Edited by lostsoul65, 18 November 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

I would think you should mention how you will be using the computer.....gaming...watching movies...video editing...etc.

That info would give anyone wanting to assist you a better idea as to what to recommend.

What other components will you be buying?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:13 PM

I would think you should mention how you will be using the computer.....gaming...watching movies...video editing...etc.

That info would give anyone wanting to assist you a better idea as to what to recommend.

What other components will you be buying?

I will have 2 SSD drives, 2 Printers, web cam, 2 internal Hard Drives, 2 External hard drives, one network drive, mic. 2 scanners, and a couple of other things for the USB's. What I use it for don't really matter because it will be powerful enough to do what ever I want because with 16 Gigs of RAM and a 185 watt video card it's just the things I want to connect to it. I do a lot of transferring of data so I need 2 USB 3.1 one USB type-C and 6 SATA ports and whatever else I can get for fast data transfer. I've been retired and haven't kept myself up to date on building another computer.

Edited by lostsoul65, 18 November 2016 - 06:19 PM.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

Just to be clear. You already have i5-4690 CPU, right?

If so, what are other parts in your computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users