Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Core Temp Gadget

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:17 AM

I have a Core Temp gadget installed on my laptop that I wish to uninstall but it's not listed in the Uninstall Programs section of the control panel. It's called Core Temp 64 and it displays the dual core temps in the system tray. I can find it in the downloads folder but I can't locate it to uninstall it. It's running in the Task Manager. I could stop it there but I want to delete it. If someone could explain how to find and uninstall it I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hi, :)

This is a quote from ALCPU Forums that should point you in the right direction:

Uninstalling the gadget:
1. Close all instances of the Gadget.
2. In Vista - Restart Windows or Kill the "sidebar.exe" process by using the Task Manager.
In Windows 7 - Right click Desktop, View, uncheck "Show Desktop Gadgets".
3. Start Sidebar again from the Desktop context menu (right click Desktop).
4. Uninstall the Core Temp Gadget.

http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1026

Additionally, you may want to delete the folder(s) in Downloads.

Good luck!!!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

I have Win 7. I should have mentioned that in the beginning. Sorry. When I couldn't find it in Delete Programs, I went online to find out why. The consensus was that it operates from the download file and to delete that, as you mentioned. First I had to stop it in the Task Manager in order to delete the four or five subfiles in the Download File folder. I never had to delete a download in order to uninstall before. I didn't realize that programs operated from the download file. Thanks for your help and prompt response. I appreciate it.

#4 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

I forgot to add that after deleting the download file, I rebooted and checked the Task Manager again and it's gone from the Applications list.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

You're welcome. Glad you go it sorted out. :)

My understanding is that CoreTemp Gadget is a portable application that is meant to be used in conjunction with CoreTemp. Now, portable applications are designed to run without being installed and do not typically make registry changes. They usually come in compressed folders. When you extract the contents of the compressed folder, you create a new, un-zipped folder. This is the "actual" folder from where the executable is stored. That's why deleting the folder  removes the program, as you delete the executable file, the heart of the portable application.

Edited by bwv848, 18 November 2016 - 04:50 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

Thanks. I never knew about portable directories before. I appreciate it.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I was writing the post! I will edit the post to make it correct.

Edited by bwv848, 18 November 2016 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users