Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone recommend a good FREE Zip Utility?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi,

I'd like to know if someone can recommend a free Zip utility. My free version of WinZip expired without my using it. Now they want me to buy it and I only use the function once a year or so, if that. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:59 AM

7-Zip is probably the most popular one. Never really liked WinZIP.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Aura,

I started to download 7-Zip but was informed that I need to use Google Chrome in order to do so. I'm a Firefox user so I don't want to deal with Chrome. Are there any other suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

http://www.7-zip.org/

I just downloaded to my desktop and installed it, using Firefox.

Louis

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

7 zip is totally free and open source... You don't need chrome to use 7z. Its totally independent from the browser!

Try downloading from official website. :)

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hi:

Agree with everyone else:  WinZip is not worth the $ these days (and may even come with some unwanted, bundled freebies?).

7zip is the way to go.

More powerful.

Better UI/UX.

Open source.

Free.

Can't beat that!

And, as the others mentioned, one can d/l the installer from the official site with any browser.  I do not even have Chrome on any computer. :wink:

(I hope you weren't trying to get from a dodgy 3rd-party site? :unsure:  It's always a good idea to d/l software directly from the publisher's own site, especially for open-source programs.)

MM

#7 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

(I hope you weren't trying to get from a dodgy 3rd-party site? :unsure:  It's always a good idea to d/l software directly from the publisher's own site, especially for open-source programs.)

Many of the 3rd party sites bundle 7 zip with adware... especially those ads with a big green "Download" button.

#8 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

I did a search for 7 Zip from the Bleeping web site and got a page that had a link to the download. However, that link told me that I needed Chrome. So I may not have paying enough attention to exactly what the source was. I'll use the link that TheDecoder posted above.

#9 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Here is the DIRECT link for the setup file: http://7-zip.org/a/7z1604-x64.exe

#10 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Okay, I downloaded 7 Zip and installed it. I tried to make a zipped archive of two files - a Windows Power Point file and a PDF file that was generated from it. The archived file came out to be almost the same size as the two source files added together. I'm assuming that the PDF file is already pretty well optimized. I'm not sure why the Power Point file didn't get smaller, but it may be due to the fact that it consisted mostly of photos.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'm not sure why the Power Point file didn't get smaller

Modern Powerpoint files (.pptx) are actually just regular zip files, so zipping them is redundant.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:58 PM

• 7zip - as everyone else has recommended
  • Pea Zip - I've tried it and it was very good.
  • WinZip - It was very nice to use a few years ago but I've not seen it for a few years now on MY machine; and no desire to pay the registration price
  • BandiZip - WAS and probably still IS free; like WinZip used to be before the new Ribbon Interface.

#13 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

I'm not sure why the Power Point file didn't get smaller

Modern Powerpoint files (.pptx) are actually just regular zip files, so zipping them is redundant.

The Power Point file that I was using is a .ppt format, rather than .pptx. 7 Zip did compress it from around 36MB to about 28 MB, so there was some advantage to using it.

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

7-zip would be my recommendation. I can only imagine the problems with download were caused by using a different site, perhaps being mislead by and advert. It s not common for sites to only let downloads be made with certain browsers, honestly the only example of it I've ever seen is some of the ms update checking webpages MANY years back seen from a windows XP computer. pptx versus ppt, pptx is a newer formatting type which does not contain macros. ppt may contain macros. Effectively, in response to the existence of macro based viruses, recent versions of ms office switched from the old ppt, doc, pub, xls any of which might or might not have macros to having pptx, docx, xlsx and pubx to tell you that macros are not present, and docm, pubm, xlsm and pptm in the few cases where macros are present. There are quite a lot of file types actually which won't compress further when you zip them.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

rp88,

Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users