Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bettersp2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:04 AM

has anyone heard of the software bettersp2? I don't know how much I should change my limit to.

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:58 PM

anyone? hello? still waiting

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:58 AM

has anyone heard of the software bettersp2? i think its a thing that changes the tcpip for windows, but im not sure how much I should set the limit to, im currently using 512kb broadband

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

no?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:01 PM

I think the lack of replies would indicate that either no one has used this application, or is not confident about giving you advice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

has anyone heard of the software bettersp2

Yes I've heard of it. In a nutshell it's a crack patch that overrides the settings of Service pack 2 . The SP2 settings in question , i believe :thumbsup: . puts limits on your connection speeds whilst using P2P software.

I certainly wouldn't be advising anybody to entertain it. :flowers:

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:37 AM

ok, but does anyone know what number I should put for my connection? 512kb

#8 Synconntez Reborned

Synconntez Reborned

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

FifeFlyer regarded this file as bad, but in fact it is not. For those using emule or torrent clients, the limit windows set is ridiculous. I think it is 9 or 10, but once you cue a file, the number of available clients start to get contacted. With 9 as your limit, you can not get many contacts right away, which can give you a bad cue number or worst a timeout. I set mine at something like 9999. I have had no troubles and I can surf quite comfortably even while downloading with bitspirit. Speaking of bitspirt, it comes with BetterSP2. Once you have installed it, you can find BetterSP2 in the main directory under C:\Program Files\BitSpirit. By the way, I do believe it may be outdated. If you have recently updated your windows file through the auto-update feature, I think the version of the file tcpip.sys is 5.1.2600.2892. I am not quite sure if the recent version of BitSpirit can patch this file. But you may try downloading the most recent version of BitSpirit and see if it works for you. Good Luck.

#9 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:03 AM

finally someone knows how to use it, thanx alot. I'll check my version for bettersp2.

#10 Synconntez Reborned

Synconntez Reborned

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

In fact, I was googling to find the latest version when I stumbled on this forum and your query. So I joined it to spread the right info. It seems BitSpirit 2007 or something like that is now available through some sort of pay site. much the same way WinMx eventually became. But the last official version can be found here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File...BitSpirit.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/BitS...nload-7095.html

It was able to patch my version of tcpip.sys. I am pretty sure windows will over right this file again with an update, so I guess I better learn to patch it myself.

After I patched it, now even when BitSpirit has maxed out my poor 256k connection, I can still surf and send email. Which I COULD NOT do before...in fact, MSN messenger would disconnect often before I did. But now, no probs.

#11 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:22 AM

ok ill check them out, thanx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users