Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I format the external HDD before creating a hard disk image on it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:14 AM

I use Windows 7 professional 64 bit edition. Im a novice user who is doing this for the 1st time. 
I intend to use Macrium Reflect Free edition to store an image of my C drive which is the only partition I have, (931 GB ( of which 537 GB is free) ) on an external HDD which is of Sony, 1TB & Fat32 formatter. 

But am I supposed to format the external HDD before attempting to create an image on it? The external HDD already has nearly 400 GB contents on it, & i cant wipe it off. Does the imaging process wipe it off? Or am i expected to do it, before starting the imaging process??

& also how much space is the image going to occupy roughly?? 

I'd be highly thankful if someone could guide me on this.. Please.. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:08 AM

Hi,

No you don't need to format the external HDD. The backup image not clone is a set of one or more files that you can save on the external HDD inside a folder without interfering with the data you already have on the disk.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi,

No you don't need to format the external HDD. The backup image not clone is a set of one or more files that you can save on the external HDD inside a folder without interfering with the data you already have on the disk.

Thank you so much for the quick reply.. Means a lot..

& one more doubt.. What is meant by compression?

If I go for a "medium compression" option, will it affect anything when I restore from the image?

I mean.. Will it affect the quality of the media files when I restore from the image?

Thanks again.. :)

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

The compressing is used to reduce the needed disk space to store the image on the external drive, besides this the different compression options affects the time to create/restore the image not the "end result".

Let the program decide the compression level to use because it's usually the best option in terms of speed/compression.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:00 AM

The compressing is used to reduce the needed disk space to store the image on the external drive, besides this the different compression options affects the time to create/restore the image not the "end result".

Let the program decide the compression level to use because it's usually the best option in terms of speed/compression.

Thank you so much..

Now I have a clear picture.. :)

Thanks again.. 

I have just another question. Sorry for the trouble..
My CD/DVD drive isnt working at all. So I cant afford to create a Macrium "rescue media" on CD/ DVD. I can only use a bootable USB (32 GB) for the rescue media. So first I have to create a rescue media on my bootable USB, then boot through it, then plug in my external 1 TB HDD to locate the image stored in it, & restore the image from it, to the my internal drive. Am i correct about the process?

& again thanks. :)

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 20 November 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

I use Windows 7 professional 64 bit edition. Im a novice user who is doing this for the 1st time. 
I intend to use Macrium Reflect Free edition to store an image of my C drive which is the only partition I have, (931 GB ( of which 537 GB is free) ) on an external HDD which is of Sony, 1TB & Fat32 formatter. 

But am I supposed to format the external HDD before attempting to create an image on it? The external HDD already has nearly 400 GB contents on it, & i cant wipe it off. Does the imaging process wipe it off? Or am i expected to do it, before starting the imaging process??

& also how much space is the image going to occupy roughly?? 

I'd be highly thankful if someone could guide me on this.. Please.. 

My two backup images using macrium Reflect Free Edition turned ~78 GB of used space into an image of less than 30 GB .  Time was 37 minutes.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,181 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

Not at all.

My CD/DVD drive isnt working at all. So I cant afford to create a Macrium "rescue media" on CD/ DVD. I can only use a bootable USB (32 GB) for the rescue media. So first I have to create a rescue media on my bootable USB, then boot through it, then plug in my external 1 TB HDD to locate the image stored in it, & restore the image from it, to the my internal drive. Am i correct about the process?

You only need to use the Rescue Media if you lost access to the Windows system due to some problem, in that case you have to boot the computer from the rescue DVD/USB to restore the image backup created before.

In normal operation you can create and restore the image directly by running the program Macrium Refect that you have installed on Windows.

___
Rui

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

"...In normal operation you can create and restore the image directly by running the program Macrium Refect that you have installed on Windows..."  I like this feature!  I have it on all three of my computers!  I think the Macrium Reflect boot & operations resides on the internal hard-drive -- outside of Windows GUI.  Three ways to restore:  MR on usb or MR on dvd or MR on the int HD  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

"...In normal operation you can create and restore the image directly by running the program Macrium Refect that you have installed on Windows..."  I like this feature!  I have it on all three of my computers!  I think the Macrium Reflect boot & operations resides on the internal hard-drive -- outside of Windows GUI.  Three ways to restore:  MR on usb or MR on dvd or MR on the int HD   :)

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for the suggestion :) 

Not at all.

You only need to use the Rescue Media if you lost access to the Windows system due to some problem, in that case you have to boot the computer from the rescue DVD/USB to restore the image backup created before.

In normal operation you can create and restore the image directly by running the program Macrium Refect that you have installed on Windows.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks a ton for the info :)

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

+1 on making MR rescue media, whether on USB or on DVD or both.  Best to do it while everything is working.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users