I've been having a nightmare of a week with my PC after trying to resolve some microstuttering/DPC Latency issues, I will try and list the stages concisely here.
- Powered external USB Hub via generic 9v power adaptor to reduce strain on USB ports
- Worked fine for the day, then next day after turning on computer all USB ports were non-functioning/fried from over powering perhaps
- Installed PCI USB 1.1 card, USB devices worked ok for 1 day
- Next day the mouse was not able to move, however it could still click/scroll, same symptoms on another computer, old Microsoft mouse worked fine with both PC's
- Bought new PCI USB 2.0 card, worked fine for a day (apart from the non-moving mouse)
- Crash/freeze with grey screen (never seen this before on any system)
- Unable to boot past black screen just after "Starting Windows" screen
- Works in Safe Mode, chkdsk and sfc scan report no issues
- System Restore works and I can boot into Windows normally
- 20 seconds later Device Drivers are installed and the USB devices stop functioning (mouse and keyboard, but PS/2 keyboard still works)
- Back to not being able to boot past Starting WIndows screen, only safe mode works...
I am going to try and remove all non-essential drivers, but I cannot seem to find a program that can do that for me, my second plan is to do a "Repair Install" of Windows 7 Ultimate, however I've heard that can make some installed programs unable to run, which I want to avoid as much as possible (I have over 100 programs installed, many of which I no longer own the installation media to, so a reformat is also out of the question for me).
If anyone has any ideas/tips/advice it would be hugely appreciated
The funny thing is the microstuttering/glitches/crashes/DPC Latency all stopped after my USB ports got fried (as USBPORT.SYS was the driver causing the most latency as reported by the "LatencyMon" software). But now it has all gone extremely downhill, to the point of only being able to run the computer in safe mode.