Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost system drive during reset?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lady T

Lady T

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:22 AM

Hello,

I lost power during a reset and now my drive C is not listed to reset or reinstall. I finally got into CMD and the only thing listed is

X: \Sources>

The drive does show in the Bios. It has taken me hours to get into CMD so is there a way I can fix this from here? This is on an older Dell laptop that I had upgraded from Win 8 to 10.

Thanks

Picture is of sys just a few days ago before this happened.

Attached Files

Lady T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:35 PM

In Windows 10 you can do a reset which basically reinstalls the operating system, it has the option to save your files so you will not lose your important data.  Since you can not boot into Windows 10 you will need to create installation media to do the Reset.

You can use the Media Creations Tool to make a Windows 10 installation disc.  Click on Microsoft's Download Windows 10, scroll down to and click on Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Once you have created the installation media you will find good instructions to perform the Reset here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thanks so much for the info but have done all this. Can't reset because there is no C drive. Again my drive is recognized in the Bios but not in the Creation Tool.

Lady T

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

If this is a Dell you can tap F12 to run drive diagnostics. HP would be Esc. Even if the drive is detected in UEFI/BIOS it's possible the drive has failed. You may need to run a bootable diagnostic on the drive if you do not have a Dell or HP.

#5 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:58 PM

Yes it is a Dell and have done the F12. Not ready to give up yet. I'm back in cmd and can see Windows\system32 under X drive letter. Will not recognized any commands. Not even help.

Lady T

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:14 AM

Perhaps try a few of the steps here

http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/SLN297926

#7 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

Thank Opera but yes have also tried dell.

Lady T

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

What is the model number of the Dell. When you say you cannot see your disk using the Install media do you mean Windows 10 does not detect a disk at this screen?

windows-8-clean-install-10-5807121f5f9b5

Boot your Windows 10 install disk. At the screen where it asks for what language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt window.

Post the output of the following commands

diskpart   will open a separate diskpart prompt

list disk    If a disk is present then type the following

select disk 0   

list partition

list volume    

#9 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:49 PM

JohnC,

I did the dispart from CMD. It did show 0,1,2 drives and all my gigs are on 0. Didn't save the instruction so today trying to get back to those. My issue is my boot and looks like sys in on a drive X. which I'm sure has no space. When I use the media creator and I get to setup window I don't have anything. Options, browse or refresh does nothing. Will go in and do the select and list. Fingers crossed.

It is a Dell N5050. It was running so good till this.

Lady T

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

I'm pretty sure your X: is your DVD disk. Do you see your hard drive in the image I posted?

#11 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:47 PM

NO images at all. Nothing since this happened. No dvd. Using USB flash for the media creator. I was able to do browse and see drive C through F & X. C states Local Disk, D is my usb media creator and X states Boot. When I try and select any of them it states no drivers.

Lady T

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

When you say "No images at all" are you saying you cannot start the Windows 10 install with the USB created using the Media Creation Tool? Or are you saying at the image I posted there are no drives listed.

#13 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Sorry John just getting back to this. Yes I do get to this set up screen but shows no drives and when I try to search it says no drivers. I did yesterday try and switch usb ports but that didn't help.

Lady T

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Tap F2 while booting to enter your UEFI settings. Is the hard drive listed? 

According to Dell's support page on your model, Windows 10 is not listed as a supported OS but it's hard to believe that Windows 10 could not detect your hard drive unless it has failed.When you ran the F12 diagnostics everything passed?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/SupportedOS/inspiron-15-intel-n5050

You can try reinstalling with Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. See if it detects the disk. If not then you have a failed drive or motherboard problem.

Do you need personal data off the hard drive?

#15 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

John,

Thanks for hanging with me on this. Think I mastered it. I cleaned the drive long ago because I was selling the laptop. That's when this all started. I lost power when I was resetting. So I did go back in to cmd and cleaned, reformated and selected. Managed to burn on DVD on another computer. Now at the installing screen. Everything looking good. Think it had a lot to do with me using a flash drive. Fingers crossed. at 85%

Lady T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users