Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 - 64 bit and 32 bit compatability.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rodlau

Rodlau

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:54 AM

My knowledge of software is extremely limited.  I eventually migrated from a desk top computer to a lap top, only because I travel a lot and do need access to my computer.  The laptop has Windows 10 and Office Professional Plus 2013.  The office is the 64 bit version.  All was installed by experts and works well.  I am a lazy guy by nature so try to automate everything.  This way no finger trouble or misfiling of documents.  The software providers wrote various programmes for me to do this all, and has worked 100% for the last 10 years.  They use a Microsoft product called ODBC.

But I have a major and very serious problem. ODBC only works on a 32 bit system not 64 bit.  I must uninstall the Office 64 bit and reinstall the Office 32 bit.  Also no problem and again I would get experts to do this, as the chances of me screwing it up are extremely likely.  I also believe that you can never have enough sex, beer, money or backups, so those gaps are blocked.  My problem is, I have been told, is that the emails I have on the Outlook 64 bit version I will not be able to read on the Microsoft Outlook 32 bit version.  I don't want to lose any emails, as I do have reason to go back on emails pretty regularly.  I try to handle and "sign off" all emails immediately, but often I would at a later date have a query relating to a prior email.  If I haven't got the email I am up the creek without a paddle.

Is there anyway I can "convert" my existing 64 bit email file to a 32 bit email file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

Don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. Your emails are saved in a .pst file on your computer, and that file can be read by both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Outlook.

In any event, I'm wiling to bet the emails are also saved on the mail server you are using, and the mail server will work with either 32-bit or 64-bit. Once you open Outlook, they will either re-populate from the mail server, or you can just import the .pst file.

In short, no email conversion is necessary.

#3 Rodlau

Rodlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:49 AM

Hi Sflatechguy.  Thank very much for the information.  I did a backup of the Outlook on the laptop (64 bit), and reinstalled it on my desktop (32 bit).  And viola, all 100% perfect.  That little man inside my computer did exactly what you said he would do.    So much for the "advice" I was given by the development department of the Commercial programme supplier!  Again, a thousand thank yous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users