Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Becoming A Better Member

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:58 AM

I have found out that the more post I post, the better member I can become, but I do not see what is the point of becoming a better member? eg forum addict, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

I think its motivational hahahaha! Well im not quite sure, i used to have a forums and i had those same had the same thing...so i dont really know but it sounds cool!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

If by better, you mean more knowledgeable and a better poster/replyer, then it is important, and certainly encouraged by BC. The quality of posts do seem to improve with the number of posts. On the other hand, the "titles" such as "forum addict" are simply categories that members are put in by the mechanics of this board's programme based on the number of posts, and are, at best, an indication to a new member that some weight can be given to the posts and replies. Only is this rather vague sense do these titles signifiy "better" posts.

BC does, however, have more meaningful titles which are earned primarily based on the merit of post content. BC Advisor, HJT team member, and Moderators are examples of these. In addition, on rare occasions, certain posts are awarded an "Outstanding Post" commendation based on both their content and clarity.

I hope this clarifies this aspect of the forums.
Regards to all members,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 August 2006 - 11:23 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:23 AM

ok thanks

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:07 AM

im a forum regular now, whats above that?

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:59 AM

Hi unloaded
This quote is taken from an earlier post.....

New Member 0
Member 15
Forum Regular 150
Senior Member 350
Distinguished Member 600
Forum Addict 1000

To read the full topic......... Click here

BBPP6nz.png

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

senior member 350 posts? no probs.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:37 AM

senior member 350 posts? no probs.

A Gentle Mod Reminder:

* Posting just to raise one's post count is frowned upon.
Useless unnecessary posts can be removed.

*In fact, bloated post count gained by intentional posting in order to
raise post count can be reversed.

Edited by Scarlett, 24 September 2006 - 01:36 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

Always nice to see you in ' gentle mod reminder mode' scarlett
and you can delete this post if you want :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#10 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:32 AM

John: so being labeled "forum regular", construed as in what sense? what is my worth? :thumbsup: :flowers: curious wants to know. Thank you. YOYO. :trumpet:

#11 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

John: so being labeled "forum regular", construed as in what sense? what is my worth? :thumbsup: :flowers: curious wants to know. Thank you. YOYO. :inlove:

You are more trustable. Instead of someone who just posts their opinion, spam, or say worthless info; people expect better from you. In other words your a role model. :cool:

P.S. Your avvy scares me. :trumpet:
JK.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

John: so being labeled "forum regular", construed as in what sense? what is my worth? :thumbsup: :flowers: curious wants to know. Thank you. YOYO. :inlove:

You are more trustable. Instead of someone who just posts their opinion, spam, or say worthless info; people expect better from you. In other words your a role model. :cool:

JK.

Nat Sci,Are you saying, because I offer a serious opinion in "Speak Easy" or "General Chat" You consider
my posts SPAM and worthless.If thats the case,you have seen my last post in this forum.
"I'm leaving on a jet plane.........."
PS. Your Avitar takes away the seriousness of your posts,in my opinion.MGBY.
DSTM.

#13 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:42 AM

Nat Sci/JK: In that sense I better shape up and clean up my act if I am viewed as role model? Have a question : what is "avvy"?? Should I use a more subdued avatar? Cheers. Thank you for the clarity. YOYO. :thumbsup:

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:40 AM

You are more trustable. Instead of someone who just posts their opinion, spam, or say worthless info; people expect better from you. In other words your a role model. :thumbsup:

:flowers:

"Forum Regular" only denotes the amount of posts one has made. That's it.
Whether or not they are "worthwhile" postings, can only be looked upon individually.
It does not mean that all whom have garnered enough posts, to make it that far are to be "trusted" per say.
It only means that they have remained very active. Of course that is great, and is much appreciated.
We have a special title for such a member. Which is "Trusted Advisor".

Additionally one can only have made a few posts (not making "Forum Regular" or even "Trusted Advisor") and yet still their posts can be well thought out and intelligent helpfull replies.
And on the other hand, someone could have tons of posts, and yet their's may only be let's say many, many questions. Racking up several posts along the way.

I hope this helps you all understand the distinction. :trumpet:

jgweed has explained it even better here:

If by better, you mean more knowledgeable and a better poster/replyer, then it is important, and certainly encouraged by BC. The quality of posts do seem to improve with the number of posts. On the other hand, the "titles" such as "forum addict" are simply categories that members are put in by the mechanics of this board's programme based on the number of posts, and are, at best, an indication to a new member that some weight can be given to the posts and replies. Only is this rather vague sense do these titles signifiy "better" posts.

BC does, however, have more meaningful titles which are earned primarily based on the merit of post content. BC Advisor, HJT team member, and Moderators are examples of these. In addition, on rare occasions, certain posts are awarded an "Outstanding Post" commendation based on both their content and clarity.

I hope this clarifies this aspect of the forums.
Regards to all members,
John

Edited by Scarlett, 02 November 2006 - 03:12 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

JK.

Nat Sci,Are you saying, because I offer a serious opinion in "Speak Easy" or "General Chat" You consider
my posts SPAM and worthless.If thats the case,you have seen my last post in this forum.
"I'm leaving on a jet plane.........."
PS. Your Avitar takes away the seriousness of your posts,in my opinion.MGBY.
DSTM.

I was really talking about the computer help etc... Btw, what does my avatar have to do anything with my posts?
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users