Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to verify if Win Xp iso is bootable

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 garvind25

garvind25

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:20 AM

Hi there,

I am stuck up with a  WinXp crashed system and needed some help. 

I have an Win Xp SP3 image. But I dont know if it is a bootable image. Is there any way to verify before burning it in a CD/ any way to convert the CD to a bootable disk while burning it?

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta

Edit: I have an downloaded ISO.

Edited by garvind25, 18 November 2016 - 02:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:52 AM

Hi Arvind,

The XP SP3 ISO file is not bootable. There is no way to boot your computer with it, or to convert it to anything else.

Is this the same computer that you are asking about in these two threads?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632209/pc-wont-restart-in-windows-after-sp-3-update/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632440/offline-windows-registry-editing-through-ubuntu-on-a-dual-boot-system/

#3 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:56 AM

Hi Arvind,

The XP SP3 ISO file is not bootable. There is no way to boot your computer with it, or to convert it to anything else.

Is this the same computer that you are asking about in these two threads?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632209/pc-wont-restart-in-windows-after-sp-3-update/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632440/offline-windows-registry-editing-through-ubuntu-on-a-dual-boot-system/

Thanks for the information. Yes, it is the same PC I am asking for. Anyways, I have made a bootable pendrive from the WinXp SP3 image using Rufus (I just wanted to keep a backup bootable CD).

Regards,

Arvind Gupta

Edited by garvind25, 18 November 2016 - 02:02 AM.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

If you have an Disk Image of XP System , then use the Software that created the Image to reinstall it on that PC.

But If you have a XP Spk 3 ISO { Download I assume }  burn that image to disk and then Boot from that to install XP / And Using Product Key on PC.

Dont know about verifying before trying it , but if you Burn to Disc and boot from it , it should work.

Late Post : Follow Al1000 suggestions.

Edited by Havachat, 18 November 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#5 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:13 AM

Ok... just confirming.... since I have an ISO file, I should simply burn it to a disk and change the boot option in the BIOS settings to boot from CD / DVD. Does anyone recollect if there is a 'repair computer' option when install options come up in win XP so that I can do a regedit operation.

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:28 AM

What is the name of this file? Is this SP3 for XP, or XP including SP3?

#7 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:35 AM

The ISO filename is : Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Black Edition 2014.8.23

I downloaded it from a forum post in BC only (here). I  dont know if it is SP3 only or winXP with SP3. :(

Arvind Gupta.

Edited by garvind25, 18 November 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

That's an XP installation disc, so is bootable, but I'm not sure that you will be able to use it to repair your computer.

As your question in the OP has been answered, I'm closing this thread to avoid confusion.

Please ask any further questions regarding Windows solutions for repairing this computer, in your existing thread in this forum:

Edited by Al1000, 18 November 2016 - 02:54 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

The ISO filename is : Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Black Edition 2014.8.23

FWIW:  All Black Edition "versions" of XP were last classified as illegal installs of XP, AFAIK. 

With XP currently not being supported by Microsoft...the status of such downloads does not change, IMO.

What has changed, IMO, is the logic of pursuing illegal installs of a unsupported Windows version.  The risks undertaken by any user who would utilize such questionable downloads...if anything, such have increased since Microsoft no longer supports said O/S.  Since DMCA actions are still being taken by Microsoft and others against sites offering unauthorized download of products developed by others...IMO, anyone electing to download/employ such needs to re-emphasize the risk of malicious content within such downloads.

As a matter of my own personal policy...I will not attempt to assist anyone where the install of Windows is clearly identifiable as "illegal" "black" or any other term which is known to connote the download/availability of said program/operating system as being unauthorized.  My personal stance has nothing to do with attempting to enforce Microsoft's rights to protect its property...but results from my conclusion that it's a waste of time to devote time/energy to trying to make pirated software with possible malicious content...workable as if it is a bona fide O/S or program where normal rules and procedures might prevail to overcome problematical situations.

This is not an official stance of the website...it's just my perspective on dealing with circumstances that I do not consider to be normally properly presented and addressed within an O/S computer help forum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2016 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users