Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Updaters

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

I am trying to make it easier to update my software on my Pc. Do you guys have any sugestions as to which software updater i should use. Should I even use a updater program. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:05 AM

Software updaters can be a great way to keep your system up to date.

My pick of the bunch is Secunia.

#3 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:06 AM

Thanks bro. Much respect to you.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:06 AM

I avoid software updater programs like the plague.  They're an ill wind that blows no good.

Virtually any program I can think of these days that does not require payment for update, and even some of those, have built-in options to check for updates to themselves.  I have found turning this feature on to be the most reliable and easiest way to be certain that my software is up to date as new releases come out.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:09 AM

I'd agree with what you say when it comes to driver updaters and the like britechguy.

But running 5-10 updater programs in the background is a hell of a lot different than a program like Secunia that checks for security vulnerabilities on demand, and then informs you.

I know which I would prefer.

That said... there are many shonky ones out there that should be avoided also. They are far from all equal.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 November 2016 - 12:11 AM.

#6 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:10 AM

basically feel the same way , too much of a risk.  I have heard good and bad things about updater programs. I was just curious if anyone else used them

Edited by bug1971, 18 November 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#7 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

I will never use driver update programs.  Just would like a easier , safe way to update software all in one place...LOL

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

Hi:

A long while back, Secunia v2 was OK (but not great).

It went seriously downhill with version 3.

I ditched it a long time ago, as I have had a longstanding routine of manually updating my software.

And, yes, for drivers: 1) if it ain't broke, don't fix it; and 2) if you have an OEM computer, the best place to get driver updates is the computer manufacturer's own website -- they will have tested the newer drivers on their hardware...

MM

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:15 AM

TsVk!,

This is one of those "different strokes" things.  I don't have tons of updater processes running constantly.  Most programs like, for instance, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, NVDA, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, and the list goes on check whether there is a newer version when I first fire them up, and I don't leave most things that can be left set to run in the background running in the background.

This works for me.  Using Secunia works for you.  I expected that this question, like so many, would elicit contradictory advice.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:18 AM

You guys are Awesome, thank you so much for the feedback. this is why i love bleeping Computer so much, because of people like you guys.....Thanks again

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:19 AM

I use Linux britechguy, I just work with Windows pc's.

There's a lot of community support for Secunia in malware removal forum here. It is not a malicious application.

I've tried it on a lot of machines and found it to work well with most configurations, though there were exceptions.

Someone may have something else that they use that they think works well...

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

TsVk!,

This is one of those "different strokes" things.  I don't have tons of updater processes running constantly.  Most programs like, for instance, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, NVDA, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, and the list goes on check whether there is a newer version when I first fire them up, and I don't leave most things that can be left set to run in the background running in the background.

This works for me.  Using Secunia works for you.  I expected that this question, like so many, would elicit contradictory advice.

Absolutely.

I think as long as it's valid everyone should speak up :)

You guys are Awesome, thank you so much for the feedback. this is why i love bleeping Computer so much, because of people like you guys.....Thanks again

You're welcome. There may be more yet still though.

:wink:

Edited by TsVk!, 18 November 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:38 AM

Since Flexera acquired Secunia I don't think there's been a single improvement in the program. People seem to have left it in droves.

I prefer manually watching for software updates myself, that way I get no 'hidden' surprises! However that doesn't suit everyone, some folk aren't too sure how to check and others don't have time.

Some friends of mine use SUMo. (select lite installer)

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

#14 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

I am someone who is reluctant to give advice as I am far from expert, but having tried Secunia and File Hippo I have a strong preference for Filepuma. It is part of the well regarded Glary Utilities family. It has a very informative website which provides brief details of programs and a user sourced rating before you download, both new programs and updates. 

#15 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

Within an hour of posting the above, my favourite magazine (in the UK) ComputerActive dropped through my letterbox, with a short piece complaining about 'vetran' Glary Utilities resorting to dubious practice pushing Malware Hunter, which while it is not a bad program will clash with other AV / AM you may have (I will continue to rely on Malwarebytes). I can confirm this, and will follow their suggestion to uninstall it. But Filepuma can be downloaded and run easily without involving Glary Utilities or Malware Hunter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users