Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3TB support?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OmniPC

OmniPC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

I'm so confused. I have 2 x 3TB HDDs, one Seagate and the other WD. Neither shows up as 3 GB either as as single volume or as two separate volumes.

I was under the impression that Windows 10 resolved this issue. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I'm pretty sure it's something simple that will make me feel like an idiot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:54 PM

What size does Windows list the 3TB drive as? Windows will list a 3TB as about 2,793.97GB.

http://www.ussscctv.com/harddrivesizecapacitiescalculator.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#3 OmniPC

OmniPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

2,198,025,007,104 bytes 1.99 TB
2,198,183,342,080 bytes 1.99 TB

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

Is it possible you have System Restore active on the drivers. 

https://www.tekrevue.com/how-to-enable-system-restore-windows-10/

If System Restore is not active download and install Partition Wizard. Is there any unallocated space on the drives? 

Note: if you already have these drives formatted there will be at least three partitions on the disk. You can see this in disk management but the MSR partition will be hidden.

You can check this by opening a command prompt and typing the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

This will show you the sizes and partitions on the disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:10 PM

FWIW:  What was posted...is the way that 3TB drives appear when using XP.  It's the GPT drive limitation that exists only in XP and earlier O/Ses.

Were these drives already formatted when installed in the Win 10 system?

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

I'm guessing the drives are set up as MBR volumes instead of GPT.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

I'm guessing the drives are set up as MBR volumes instead of GPT.

I agree. I should have thought of this. 

@OmniPC, at the list disk command you should see an asterisk under the  GPT column. Also using Partition Wizard there will be about 750GB of unallocated space on each disk if you have MBR disks.

The drive needs to be converted to GPT from MBR. I would first backup any data on the disk. You will not be able to do the following if they are currently RAID. After backing up the data on the disk(s) you need to open Partition Wizard and convert from MBR to GPT. If the full disk space is still not present then resize the partition. Because all steps are virtual you will need to click apply to complete the steps.

Edit: This conversion cannot be done on a system disk. This conversion can be done on a non-system disk without data loss but you should always back up any data first as something can always go wrong.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 November 2016 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users