Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unallocated Space after Reinstall Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PCW

PCW

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hello everyone,

I work at a repair shop and I've run into this issue twice already on both Windows 7 (MBR) and Windows 8.1 (UEFI). The problem starts with a customer bringing in the machine after someone remotely hijacked it via a phone call. Usually we reinstall the machine since there is no way to figure out everything that was done to the machine. We do test all hardware (Surface scans, memtest, psu test) to make sure everything is working prior to a reinstall. However, the last two times we have gone ahead with a format and reinstall everything works correctly then after a few reboots the hard drive loses all it's partitions and is unallocated. One of the two times it has happened in the store so there's no way the customer could have installed or done something wrong, the second time the customer did pick it up and had it for two days, which brings uncertainty into the equation. Ultimately we have replaced the hard drives and everything works normally after that.

After for my question, has anyone else experienced an issue like this? If so, what would be the remedy without replacing the drive?

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2016 - 07:52 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Gen Security -- Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

If our customer were infected with ransomware or something just as nasty, we use KillDisk or Diskpart to completely wipe the drive and set it to 0's  then re-install, this of course require a caddy. and we've never had issues, so it could have been the drive was ready to die, ( you know the noises, ticking/clicking, very high pitched squeal) and in that case there's nothing you can do.

and I would suggest using diskpart (for windows) to clean the drive up with :

(command prompt)

"Diskpart"

list disk

select disk X  (X being the drive you plugged in)

clean

create partition primary

then format it like normal (right click, format.)

It is odd but that kind of thing does happen unfortunately. 

Hopefully this was informative and possibly answered your question.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 PCW

PCW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

Appreciate the reply.

It is very possible the drives were failing since surface scans can only measure read times. They were not however clicking or making any funny noises. I will next time try to run Killdisk to write 0's to the drive prior to reinstalling. If I run into the same issue again, I'll check back here and give more information.

Thanks.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

No worries and please do so, Also run (if you haven't) the Long and Short DST Test.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users