Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looks like too much work - BSOD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dynamictiger

dynamictiger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Been working on access application for work in runtime.

Packaged, tested -found errors - fixed - repeat all day Saturday on and off.

Saturday 4.00 pm Windows 10 refuses to respond to menu clicks or anything not in desktop...

Fair enough domestic computer I didn't plan on using it like this when I bought it. Hard restarted ran ref cleaner, chkdsk and defrag OK for few days.

Load visual studio 2015 and download resharpen yesterday ...stops responding on video sound as I am studying asp.net. Machine is responding so tell it to reboot and BSOD.

Can't get into any files except dos

In dos can see c drive files...moved some critical to usb and one drive for now.

I have a new machine for development delivered to work yesterday...I am thinking I can connect the two on network and copy old c:/drive to folder on new drive.. This isn't something I am very good at.

How would I go about doing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

FWIW:  Moving files...a large number of files or large files...via network is slow.  The simpler approach would be to just remove the hard from System 1...connect it as a secondary drive to System 2...and copy or move desired data files.  Program files will have to be reinstalled, you cannot simply move those and expect them to work properly.

Why would you want to copy the Windows partition?  In any case, the best that I can envision for Windows and program files...would be to just clone the files to another drive/partition.  Windows and the programs won't run in another system...unless it has exactly the same physical componeents installed as the system from which the hard drive was removed.

If the hard drive is the problem...nothing but frustration should be expected.  So my first step would be to try to rule out the hard drive as a problem...by assesseing ifs functional status via a hard drive diagnostic.

How to receive help diagnosing Blue Screens and Windows crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic176011.html

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

FYI - it's actually faster (in most cases) to slave the old hard drive to the new system (using USB 3 stuff) and then copy the data over that way (most data is contained in the Users folder).

More info on backup techniques here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users