Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loader

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:46 AM

in msconfig, under tab boot ini there is an timeout option, which I think is the time needed for windows xp to boot, what would happen if I set it to 0. I think the default is 30.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:36 AM

It depends upon how your computer is set up.

If you have one operating system installed on your computer (this is way most computers are) then modifiying the timeout line will make no difference.

If you have more than one operating system on your computer, then the timeout line indicates how long you will be presented with a 'booting options' screen when you start up your computer. If no choice is made, then it will automatically start up to the default operating system in what ever number of seconds is in the timeout line.

So, if you have two operating systems and the time out line says 30, that means you will be presented with choices of which OS to boot to for 30 seconds. After that time it will automatically boot to the operating system that is the default. If you were to change the 30 to 0, then you would not see the booting options screen at all it simply would boot to the default, and you would have no way to choosing the other operating system.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:05 AM

ok thanx

#4 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

I wouldnt reccomend modifying boot.ini as a little mistake could destroy your computer.

#5 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

I have done the modifying already, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users