Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is C:WINDOWSsystem32services.exe bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamP

WilliamP

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

I am having a problem with Sandboxie closing so I ran a Hijackthis scan and it flagged C:WINDOWSsystem32services.exe as bad. Is it a problem. Or should I disregard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

Let's run a scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit to find out. Please post the log it produces in your next reply.

G0tu5D9.pngEmsisoft Emergency Kit
Follow the instructions below to run a scan using the Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
  • Download the Emsisoft Emergency Kit and execute it. From there, click on the Extract button to extract the program in the EEK folder;
    UNSds6D.png
  • Once the extraction is complete, Emsisoft Emergency Kit will open, and suggest you to run an online update before using the program. Click on Yes to launch it.
    iN69RBO.png
  • After the update, click on Malware Scan under 2. Scan and accept to let Emsisoft Emergency Kit detect PUPs (click on Yes).
    gWweIdE.png
  • Wait for the scan to complete.
  • A shortcut called Start Emsisoft Emergency Kit will appear on your desktop, right-click on it and select Spcusrh.pngRun as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
    N8hWfik.png
  • Accept to run the online update when opening the program (click on Yes), then wait for the update to complete and click on Back
    YF2mp3p.png
  • From there, click on the Scan button. A prompt will ask you if you want to enable the PUP detection, click on Yes
  • Click on the Smart Scan (Recommended) to launch the scan, and wait for it to complete;
    prnhFb6.png
    ZY7LqH4.png
  • Once the scan is complete, click on the View Report button;
    vbg4oWu.png
  • A log will open in Notepad. Copy and paste its content in your next reply;

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

It said that it can't run on XP

#4 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

Ah, okay. Let's try Malwarebytes; just follow the instructions below. Do you have any anti-viruses on your computer? Also, what did you mean by HiJack This flagging services.exe? Did it appear in the generated log?

0isDeWa.pngMalwarebytes Anti-Malware - Scan Mode
  • Download and install the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    Note: It's your choice if you want to enable the free trial of Malwarebytes Premium or not. Enabling it will give you real-time protection from the program, as well as access to all the Premium features.
    Note: If you have Malwarebytes already installed, you don't need to install it again. Simply start from the next bullet point.
  • Once Malwarebytes is installed, launch it and let it update his database. You might have to click on the Update Now button.
  • Once the database update is complete, click on the Scan tab, then select the Threat Scan button and click on Scan Now.
  • Let the scan run, the time required to complete the scan depends of your system and computer specs.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on the Saves Results button, and select Copy to clipboard.
  • From there, paste the content of the clipboard in your next reply.

#5 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

I have run Malwarebytes ,Superantispyware ,and Avira Pro and nothing found.

#6 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

Okay. I'm still not sure what you mean when you say Hijack This flagged it (elaborating would be helpful), but we cannot do much else besides run automated tools in this section, and if those turned nothing up, it is unlikely anything is wrong.

#7 WilliamP

WilliamP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hijack This put a red X on it. So I did a search on Ping and it gets real murky as to whether s ok or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users