Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offline windows registry editing through Ubuntu on a dual boot system

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 garvind25

garvind25

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi there,

I am stuck in a problem and was hoping that someone can help.

I have a dual boot system -- Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu 15. I decided to update my windows to SP3. After installing the update, when I tried to restart the machine in windows, it did not boot : neither in normal mode or in safe mode. I am able to log in to Ubuntu. My system config : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor, Intel DG 41Ty Motherboard, 2 GB RAM.

I posted the matter on BC Windows XP Home and Profession forum here. They advised me to stop the PC from auto rebooting by editing the Win XP registry and post the error on blue screen. I am unable to modify the Win XP registry through Ubuntu (my CD drive is not working and I am unable to find my bootable Win XP CD :( ). Can anyone pls. advise on a way to do so. I do not want to format my hard disk.

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

Hi, have you tried updating Grub? That's the first thing I would try.

To update Grub, run this command in a terminal:
sudo update-grub

#3 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hi, have you tried updating Grub? That's the first thing I would try.

To update Grub, run this command in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

Done. What next..? (The PC still does not boot in Windows-- and is going in reboot loop)

Thanks,

Arvind Gupta.

Edited by garvind25, 17 November 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#4 Lipper

Lipper

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

If you can get to the Windows boot option screen (tap F8 on boot), select last known good configuration. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can access my Win 7 registry from Mint (dual boot) and report back if I find something helpful.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

The guide that JohnC_21 posted says you can use Hiren's boot CD.

Download Hiren's boot CD, extract the ISO file, then use Unetbootin to make a bootable USB with it.

Edited by Al1000, 17 November 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

Ubuntu 15

I just noticed you're using an old version of Ubuntu; strongly recommend upgrading to a supported version.

#7 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:01 AM

If you can get to the Windows boot option screen (tap F8 on boot), select last known good configuration. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can access my Win 7 registry from Mint (dual boot) and report back if I find something helpful.

I did that as well.... even then the PC is not booting in Windows and going in the reboot loop.

Thanks, 

Arvind Gupta.

#8 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:29 AM

You cannot edit your Registry in Windows XP from Recovery Environment, because in Windows XP there is no Recovery Environment, instead there is a Recovery Console, which has very limited functionality.

Whether you can recover using Hiren's is debatable in this case, however it is your only option I know of for editing the Registry on a non-bootable XP machine.

I presume that you know that Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and as such is particularly vulnerable to malware attacks, if not, then I must advise you that it is extremely hazardous to use XP online, and ask you to consider whether you would not in fact be better to just recover your personal files and folders from your XP partition, and use Ubuntu as your sole future OS.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

Whether you can recover using Hiren's is debatable in this case, however it is your only option I know of for editing the Registry on a non-bootable XP machine.

I'm not sure why editing the Registry is needed here, aren't you guys needing to Repair the MBR so that XP will boot?  If so there is a good tool for that, and it will re-install Grub also after MBR is repaired and XP is booting.  If this is something that you guys think will work I'll help using it.  And, it creates a boot info log that one can use to diagnose if there is something wrong with boot scripts, which should be run first.  And, it will work good in this situation when the OP don't have a Disc Burner, it can be used from a LinuxLiveSession DVD or USB.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

well.... win xp is booting for some time ie.the welcome screen is coming d then it is restarting....

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

Is that PC AMD based?

http://blogs.msmvps.com/jesper/2008/05/08/does-your-amd-based-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3/

#12 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:19 AM

No. Its an Intel PC. Anyways I was able to check the registry using Hirens bootable pen drive. So, for me this topic is complete.

Thanks all for your support.

Arvind Gupta.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

What does this mean, you can boot both Operating Systems now?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 garvind25

garvind25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:56 AM

What does this mean, you can boot both Operating Systems now?

No... but my problem on how to edit registry for an offline windows installation is solved (the query in this discussion).

Arvind Gupta. 

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for letting us know Arvind.

To avoid confusion, I'll close this thread.

Members, please see this thread for continuation of this issue:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632209/pc-wont-restart-in-windows-after-sp-3-update/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users