Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display to monitor after few minutes.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Defeation

Defeation

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

I am hoping someone will have some thoughts on what to do. Keep in mind this is my first build so I might have missed something simple. When I turn my computer on for the first time everything turns on and runs fine and I even get one short beep indicating that everything is fine, but after a few minutes (random times) everything will shut off and turn on again quickly with no beep this time. After that I get no signal on my monitor, keyboard or mouse, but all of my fans are running and all of the LED's are on. I have tried both hdmi and vga. I have taken everything apart and rebuilt it again and the problem still persists. I managed to install windows and activate it before it shut down because I thought it was fine. When i get no signal, all of the fans still run and all of the LED's light up.

PC specs: Cpu: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Processor Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Memory: Corsair XMS3 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1333

Memory Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case: DIYPC Gamestorm-BK Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case with Build-in 3 x Fans (2 x 120mm Blue LED Fan x Front, 1 x 120mm Blue LED Fan x rear)

I have tried: Using only 1 memory stick and using all of them. Checked to see if they were in the right slots (They were) Checked all of the connectors from the PSU. Nothing wrong there. When I install my cpu I made sure it was facing the correct way and did not put too much pressure, so nothing should have bent. I tried using two monitors and no difference between hdmi and vga. I switched slots for my GPU. I have all my standoffs installed for my motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

This does sound like the power supply isn't handling the load.  It starts initially but after a bit it overloads and shuts down, clearing the fault and restarting but not completely.  After the initial fault, pull the plug and see if it starts okay, if it starts fine again, the PS is bad.

#3 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

This does sound like the power supply isn't handling the load.  It starts initially but after a bit it overloads and shuts down, clearing the fault and restarting but not completely.  After the initial fault, pull the plug and see if it starts okay, if it starts fine again, the PS is bad.

Yes, this sounds exactly like my problem. Should I go about getting a new PS with more wattage then?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:09 PM

This GPU needs at least a 500W PSU, yours is a 80+ Gold PSU rated at 550W, this should be ample.

Do the LEDs go off when this happens?

Do the fans stop spinning? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:12 PM

This GPU needs at least a 500W PSU, yours is a 80+ Gold PSU rated at 550W, this should be ample.

Do the LEDs go off when this happens?

Do the fans stop spinning? 

Yes, All of the LED's and fans turn off for about 2 seconds then turn back on.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

You don't need to quote my posts.

Disconnect the 24 pin connector on the motherboard.  With the computer unplugged place a jumper between the green wire socket and any black socket then plug it back in and see if the fans go out.  If they do the problem is definitely with the PSU.  If this is the case RMA it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

The PSU fan spins when I do this.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

It should, that's why I suggested doing this.  What isn't happening is the motherboard.  With the motherboard taken out of the picture and the power still drops we will know for sure that the problem is with the PSU.

#9 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

Okay, it doesn't look like the power is dropping, everything usually turns off by now.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:51 PM

My guess would be a problem with the motherboard, graphics card driver.  You can see if this is driver related by booting into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is not the same one you use normally.  If the problem doesn't repeat in Safe Mode there is a very good chance that this is driver related.

#11 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

Everything runs fine when i boot into safe mode, it does not shut off.

Edit: After little over an hour everything shut off.

Edited by Defeation, 17 November 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

I need to see what driver you have installed for your graphics, doing what I've requested below will provide me with this.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#13 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CUNIaaSZJxr1PcsImt7rdSx

Model of PSU: 220-GS-0550-V1

Edited by Defeation, 17 November 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

The driver version for your EVGA GeForce GTX 970 is 10.0.14393.0.

Go to the GeForce driver download website and use their search engine to find your driver.

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#15 Defeation

Defeation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Okay, I tried installing the driver and everything worked fine for a constant two hours, usually it not lasting over 30 minutes i thought my problem was solved. I put the two doors back on the case and plugged it in and it wont even start at all. no beep and one fan isn't turning on.

Edit: After changed the slot where I plugged in my back case fan, it lights up but I still get no signal to my monitor or beep from my motherboard. I switched my fan from SYS FAN1 to SYS FAN 2.

fan plugged into SYS FAN1: Doesn't turn on when I get no signal to monitor.

fan plugged into SYS FAN2: Turns on when I get no signal to monitor.

I don't know if that is useful but I thought i would just show you just in case.

Screenshot of MOBO where SYS FAN1 and SYS FAN2 are located: http://prnt.sc/d8zsfm

I also tried downloading my drivers from the Nvidia website but they failed installing every time. I went to the MSI website from where the video card came from and the "Nvidia Graphics driver" failed but "Nvidia VGA Driver" did not.

Edit 2: Everything works fine for about 5 minutes and it shuts down before I can manage to install the drivers.

Edited by Defeation, 18 November 2016 - 05:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users