Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my external HD bootable?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe9000

Joe9000

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:46 AM

My old laptop died and I took out its Hard Drive which is now readable on my new laptop using a USB caddy. I can access all the files fine - but not run programs from it. I gather I need to boot from the old HD to run programs from the old HD. OK, so I've gone into boot options on start-up but my USB HD does not show, even though USB boot is enabled. I've altered the BIOS so that USB boot is first, I've removed the USB printer connection and I've swapped the caddy to another USB slot. But no change - although this HD booted just fine in its old machine, it is not booting when attached to this new machine. Is there something else required and if so, what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:17 AM

You cannot remove a hard drive from an OEM laptop...place it in another laptop that is not the exact same model by the same manufacturer...and expect to use such as a boot drive using the Windows version installed on it from the other system.  The Windows license applicable ad the drivers would be totally different.

Louis

#3 Joe9000

Joe9000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:45 AM

Thanks. So, just to confirm, there's no way I can run any programs from the old hard drive? There's no way to get the old hard drive to work, other than access the data files? Is that correct?

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:23 AM

Correct.  You can access data folders and files.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Joe9000

Joe9000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

Ah well, thanks anyway. Appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users