Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinion on EFF's web browser security add-ons HTTPS Everywhere & Privacy Badger?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:00 AM

Hi all!

I have been reading about HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger over at EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation).

And hence, I am seeking your;

Opinion on EFF's web browser security add-ons HTTPS Everywhere & Privacy Badger?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

I like and use HTTPS Everywhere with Firefox. Since I also use Ghostery and UBlock, I never found the need for Privacy Badger.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:40 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yes, HTTPS Everywhere is a privacy add-on that encrypts one's communications, making one's browsing more secure. :thumbup2:

The main difference between these privacy add-ons is that Ghostery blocks all trackers (first, second & third), whereas Privacy Badger blocks only third party trackers. :busy:

And since the latter enables the Do Not Track function in the web browser, from what I understand, these could possibly be incompatible.

I presume this as I once tried activating this said function in Firefox, and afterwards Ghostery refused to install. I actually had to reset Firefox to resolve it.

BTW, I use Ghostery and µBlock Origin, too. B)

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 18 November 2016 - 09:49 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Yes the redundancy of multiple similar add-ons can cause issues with the browser requiring troubleshooting steps to resolve.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:30 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

It turns out that Privacy Badger is not for me either :thumbdown:, as Ghostery is comprehensive and certainly outperforms it. :thumbup2:

And realizing how valuable HTTPS Everywhere is, I have now included it in my security (privacy) setup. B)

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 20 November 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

You're welcome.